BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'94 540i w/ EWS I

What do you guys think the the chances are that I can drive the car with the ignition lock housing removed?

Just guessing that all I have to do is hook the battery back up, reinstall the stalk, put the steering wheel back on, and use a screwdriver to start it. Push the pin in on the EWS I cable to shift.

I realize this will give me a airbag warning that will require a reset.
Im looking to sell it before I have to dump more money into it. Being able to let someone test drive it would help a lot.

Next question.
Very recently, the car has started stalling at low RPMs and going into limp mode (Trans Program) after it warms up. If I keep the idle up, there are no issues. If I dont keep the RPMs up to a constant, it will jump in and out of limp mode at stop lights or slow corners and stall. If it stalls, I can restart the car w/ a little bit of cranking. Seems that the outside temperature is keeping it from starting and running normal after a long, cold winter. 35deg. or less gave me no problems at all.

Last faults from the shop showed MAF and o2 sensor errors. I replaced the MAF, but still got check engine on the warmer days if the RPMs werent up. So basically, I could drive on the freeway for a hundred miles and not have any problems. Ten min in stop and go will require working the throttle and break to keep it running.

o2 sensors are a given. But I wont replace them if its not going to help. Like I said, Im trying to sell the car, or at least keep it reliable for less than the stealers want to charge me. DIY, Im looking at 'bout $400 for just the lock housing and o2 sensors, assuming the tumbler still works.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you defeat all the obstacles to starting then sure. If you plug in the switch and turn it the car thinks it has a key inserted.
It's been a while since I've had one apart so don't recall exactly how the steering locking mechanism worked. Just be damned sure you've eliminated all of the parts that might make it....mmm "difficult" to steer.
Shouldn't set an SRS light if it's all together when you switch on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts