Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how does this stuff work? How does the image show up on the windshield?

I found a dealer website that says there's a translucent film on the windshield? https://www.herbchambersbmw.com/new-bmw-features-head-up-display.htm Is that true?

Can you put tint on the windshield and still have the HUD work? I was thinking of putting 70 or 90% on the windshield to cut down on heat. No, it's not legal where I live, but it's also 110 degrees for most of the summer.

Are windshield replacements a lot more expensive with a HUD system?

·
Registered
664 Posts
So, how does this stuff work? How does the image show up on the windshield?

I found a dealer website that says there's a translucent film on the windshield? https://www.herbchambersbmw.com/new-bmw-features-head-up-display.htm Is that true?

Can you put tint on the windshield and still have the HUD work? I was thinking of putting 70 or 90% on the windshield to cut down on heat. No, it's not legal where I live, but it's also 110 degrees for most of the summer.

Are windshield replacements a lot more expensive with a HUD system?
Code,

The HUD is a projection system where the unit is built into the dash and projected onto the windshield. I personally don't think it would be affected by the solar film but I really don't know. Call BMW and the film installer and ask.:thumbup:

Joe:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm awaiting BMW's response. It's been "forwarded" to a specific Genius. It took a couple days just to get an acknowledgement e-mail, although I'm glad they at least did tell me they got the e-mail.

I've called about 10 different tint people. I get conflicting info and everything in between.

I figured the info here combined with what BMW says (I bet they won't be able to give me all the info I want because the tint is aftermarket) is way better than anything the tint people can tell me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I imagine it will have no change to the screen. The image is being projected from the bottom up so in my mind it would be clearer if it had a dark base. I love my HUD. Ever since my moms old Corvette with one I longed for a HUD. I now am having fun scrolling through my XM with the wheel and seeing it projected on the HUD. Would not get another vehicle without it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the HUD windshield just replaced on my 2017 X1. OE Glass was $1,000, other misc parts were $500 and labor was $800. The OE glass for the same year car with no HUD and no camera is $278. So yes, the HUD glass is much more expensive.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
I haven't seen anyone complain about tinting and HUD issues. However, as others have said, the windshield is specially made for the HUD.

Note that polarized sunglasses will cause problems with the HUD (the HUD image is polarized, and polarized sunglasses will filter out much of the image). I had to get non-polarized sunglasses to use with the HUD.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have Llumar Air 80 ceramic tint on my windshield (the whole thing) and there's no effect on my HUD. My windshield was replaced form a rock chip recently and I can tell you without installation, just parts it costs $1272.02, but when you get the windshield replaced it requires a new rain sensor, $255.14 and the other miscellaneous parts are $34.19 for a grand total of $1686.26 with the 8.25% sales tax where I live. Installation team about $240 to give you an idea of what replacements cost in full. I love the HUD and wouldn't have the car any other way. Functionality wise it's great, the only issue would be it gets dim with polarized sunglasses yet it's still visible

·
Registered
25 Posts
With good quality polarized sun glasses the HUD dismay will completely disappear. I have tried every adjustment in the HUD settings and if just doesn't work with polarized glasses. Get a non-polarized pair for driving.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts
General procedure for bonded window glass

HUD windshield glass is non-parallel surface. A parallel surface glass windshield will show two images off set. Non-parallel glass is more expensive.

BMW windshield glass is integral to the stiffening of the body structure, and BMW has extreme replacement installation requirements, fitting with special jigs and a particular adhesive and extreme preparation and set up requirements.

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW G01 X3 sDrive30i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 51 Body equipment / 51 31 Front and rear window /
51 31 ...General procedure for the disassembly and installation of bonded window glass

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g01-x3-sdrive30i-sav/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-31-front-rear-window/HHsM71fO

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. It specifically says not to use Sika cleaning agent, which I think is a main supplier for your REALLY off-brand windshields.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts