BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I apologize if this isn't the right method to do this, I haven't been on this forum in years. I use to own an 03' e46 sedan and a 01' e46 wagon and absolutely loved them and have owned a few cars since and nothing is as good as a BMW... I'm really missing the BMW community and the way they drive.

Anyway, I'm really considering buying a 2008 BMW X5 3.0si (as in probably going to get one within the week) and just had some general questions about that model since I've never owned one yet.

It has the 3.0L L6 DOHC 24V engine, and about 104,000 miles on it. Seems to be in really solid shape and looks pretty much brand new. It's had all of its maintenance done and most of the records are with the car too. It has had the original owner the entire time and was just recently traded in at a friend of mine's dealership.

I just wanted to get other owners opinions on if this model is a good model to purchase, it won't be my daily driver, this is going to be more of a fun vehicle for me to drive around a few days a week.

I have done some research and asked a few clients of mine that own X5s and they say the V6 model like this one is the one to get. I've read and heard the V8 models of the X5 have a lot of mechanical issues, but not sure if that's the truth or not.

I'm planning on having the independent BMW Mechanic shop I use to use when I had my e46 cars take a look at it, but just wanted to get other owners opinions first.

I'm ok with spending money on repairs, but I don't want it to turn into a $2k/mo repair car, otherwise I'll pass and get a newer one, but I really like this one in particular because of the wheels and color and interior and it honestly seems to be in better shape than some of the newer ones I've seen with way less mileage!

08 X5 owners with 100k+ mileage, can you shed some light on this for me? I am just trying to gather approx repairs and costs for this model to make a good informed decision. I will likely keep it til 170-200k in mileage like I did for my e46 models.

Anyway, any help anyone can give is much appreciated! I hope to be on this forum a lot more soon if I pull the trigger and get this one (or another X5). :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

Jason

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
First, the MOST important thing: BMW DOES NOT MAKE V6 engines!
Anyway, look for signs of failing water pump and thermostat. Enter hidden menu (all over youtube how to do it) and see how temperature does on HWY. Does it keep it above 90c or it is struggling (not sure at what temp. thermostat should be fully open on that engine. You can find it online).
Check oil leaks. That engine has issues with leaky valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bad! It was late when I posted this haha, I meant the inline 6.

Awesome! I'll look for that on this one!! Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! I apologize if this isn't the right method to do this, I haven't been on this forum in years. I use to own an 03' e46 sedan and a 01' e46 wagon and absolutely loved them and have owned a few cars since and nothing is as good as a BMW... I'm really missing the BMW community and the way they drive.

Anyway, I'm really considering buying a 2008 BMW X5 3.0si (as in probably going to get one within the week) and just had some general questions about that model since I've never owned one yet.

It has the 3.0L L6 DOHC 24V engine, and about 104,000 miles on it. Seems to be in really solid shape and looks pretty much brand new. It's had all of its maintenance done and most of the records are with the car too. It has had the original owner the entire time and was just recently traded in at a friend of mine's dealership.

I just wanted to get other owners opinions on if this model is a good model to purchase, it won't be my daily driver, this is going to be more of a fun vehicle for me to drive around a few days a week.

I have done some research and asked a few clients of mine that own X5s and they say the V6 model like this one is the one to get. I've read and heard the V8 models of the X5 have a lot of mechanical issues, but not sure if that's the truth or not.

I'm planning on having the independent BMW Mechanic shop I use to use when I had my e46 cars take a look at it, but just wanted to get other owners opinions first.

I'm ok with spending money on repairs, but I don't want it to turn into a $2k/mo repair car, otherwise I'll pass and get a newer one, but I really like this one in particular because of the wheels and color and interior and it honestly seems to be in better shape than some of the newer ones I've seen with way less mileage!

08 X5 owners with 100k+ mileage, can you shed some light on this for me? I am just trying to gather approx repairs and costs for this model to make a good informed decision. I will likely keep it til 170-200k in mileage like I did for my e46 models.

Anyway, any help anyone can give is much appreciated! I hope to be on this forum a lot more soon if I pull the trigger and get this one (or another X5). :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

Jason
i just bought one that had 95,000 mi on it, great condition, had it inspected by a mechanic before buying and then drove across country with it...it's been good to me so far...the only issues i'm having is the recall on the airbag or passenger safety thing and how the screen jumps all over the place sometimes. the drive has been amazing! Cali to Florida and Florida to GA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
574 Posts
First, the MOST important thing: BMW DOES NOT MAKE V6 engines!
Anyway, look for signs of failing water pump and thermostat. Enter hidden menu (all over youtube how to do it) and see how temperature does on HWY. Does it keep it above 90c or it is struggling (not sure at what temp. thermostat should be fully open on that engine. You can find it online).
Check oil leaks. That engine has issues with leaky valve cover gasket.
The thermostat issue is more an M57 diesel problem. Never heard of an N52 problem with it.

I want to say those year N52 had a major issue with head bolts pulling out. Search up on that... or simply just search.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
The thermostat issue is more an M57 diesel problem. Never heard of an N52 problem with it.

I want to say those year N52 had a major issue with head bolts pulling out. Search up on that... or simply just search.
My 520i 24V from 1991 had thermostat issue and every BMW I had after that. When it comes to cooling components, I am always on lookout when it comes to BMW.
N52 also has water pump issue similar to N55 (both electric). Maybe thermostat failures are lower then diesel, but what does it matter if water pump is constant issue?
Head bolts I have not heard of, good catch. But then I never researched about that engine that much since did not intend to buy it.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
lets start with whats been done. w over 100k on it Im sure its had a long list of repairs. that engine was pretty good, pretty much same one as the e46 u had. valve covers,suspension and cooling system like most bmws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts