Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I picked up my new (to me) 2017 x5 35i today, wow a lot of tech for me to learn !

anyways, couple of questions.......

where the heck is the battery ?

what oil is everyone running ....0w 30 or 5w 30 ?

perhaps I'm blind but I don't see the spare tire ?

I'm gonna pour myself a manhattan and start pouring through the manual !

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,387 Posts

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Ok, so I picked up my new (to me) 2017 x5 35i today, wow a lot of tech for me to learn !

anyways, couple of questions.......

where the heck is the battery ?

what oil is everyone running ....0w 30 or 5w 30 ?

perhaps I'm blind but I don't see the spare tire ?

I'm gonna pour myself a manhattan and start pouring through the manual !
1. The battery is below the rear cargo floor in the areas covered by the black plastic stuff at the very rear.

2. There should be stickers in the engine bay and info in the owners manual...(please don't start an "oil war"). Here's a direct link to the engine oil info on the TIS website. Find your engine, then click on the "oil enclosure" link that applies to it. Some enclosures will list various recommended Brands of oil and the recommended viscosity...some only list the BMW oil viscosity. Anything on these lists (probably enclosures #4 & #5) will work for your application: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f15-x5-xdrive50i-sav_201311/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-00-engine/1PSryV8

3. If you have run flats mounted...and a spare tire kit isn't on your option list...then you don't have one (nor the tools to change the tire like an iron or jack).

BTW...welcome to the madness. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. The battery is below the rear cargo floor in the areas covered by the black plastic stuff at the very rear.

2. There should be stickers in the engine bay and info in the owners manual...(please don't start an "oil war"). Here's a direct link to the engine oil info on the TIS website. Find your engine, then click on the "oil enclosure" link that applies to it. Some enclosures will list various recommended Brands of oil and the recommended viscosity...some only list the BMW oil viscosity. Anything on these lists (probably enclosures #4 & #5) will work for your application: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f15-x5-xdrive50i-sav_201311/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-00-engine/1PSryV8

3. If you have run flats mounted...and a spare tire kit isn't on your option list...then you don't have one (nor the tools to change the tire like an iron or jack).

BTW...welcome to the madness. :D
QS, thank you. The dealer put a new Michelin 'latitude' tires on all four corners.........run flats, question answered !

battery location....check!

so, what oil are you running....0w/30 or 5w/30 ?

·
Registered
943 Posts
QS, thank you. The dealer put a new Michelin 'latitude' tires on all four corners.........run flats, question answered !

battery location....check!

so, what oil are you running....0w/30 or 5w/30 ?
I believe the manual/TIS call for BMW TwinPower Turbo LL-01 FE 0W-30. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
Battery...depending on you equipment,, you might have (2). you will need to remove the black plastic panel to verify.
Spare....If you have a 3rd row seat option, no spare. If you don't, there should be a temp spare & tools under the back cargo area floor panel Just lift it up & verify.

·
Glfbggy
575 Posts
ISpare....If you have a 3rd row seat option, no spare. If you don't, there should be a temp spare & tools under the back cargo area floor panel Just lift it up & verify.
Nope, not in an f15. no spare by design. They come equipped with Run Flat tires. I'm comfortable with this as I have owned an e36/37 ///M since 2003 and it also does not have a spare...by design.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Nope, not in an f15. no spare by design. They come equipped with Run Flat tires. I'm comfortable with this as I have owned an e36/37 ///M since 2003 and it also does not have a spare...by design.
@ghpup......Are you sure about this. Te owners manual shows this. We have the 3rd seat option so Do NOT have a spare but I'm pretty sure all others do.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ghpup......Are you sure about this. Te owners manual shows this. We have the 3rd seat option so Do NOT have a spare but I'm pretty sure all others do.
mine is two row seating, no spare, Michelin run flats

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery...depending on you equipment,, you might have (2). you will need to remove the black plastic panel to verify.
Yes, just did, there are two, one relatively large(drivers side) and a smaller one(passenger side)

What's the reason ? need to satisfy all the tech / electronics ?

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's been a while, but I believe a tire-space was present in all F15 units, with the exception of 3rd row and PHEV units (because the underfloor area was occupied by a flip-seat or a high-voltage battery, respectively). Populating the tire-space with a spare and jack was an option. Run-flats were mandatory on 3rd row and PHEVs, optional on most (all?) others. That said, there were quite limited tire fitments c. 2015 for the largest BMW OE X5 factory wheels, and IIRC no RFTs were made c. 2014 for the 21s or 22s. So a lot of units ended up with RFTs all around and no spare, or aggressive rims and a spare. It was configurable.

Somebody set me straight, please.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
It's been a while, but I believe a tire-space was present in all F15 units, with the exception of 3rd row and PHEV units ... Populating the tire-space with a spare and jack was an option. Run-flats were mandatory on 3rd row and PHEVs, optional on most (all?) others. ... Somebody set me straight, please.
No need to...you're adjusted properly and pointing in the right direction. :D If you didn't have the 3rd row seats & wanted a spare...it needed to be ordered. You can see on the ordering guide below that it was option code 300 ("S300A" if you have a copy of the decoded VIN sheet). Otherwise, you got the runflats. The e53 X5 was probably the last generation of X5s that came with a full size spare (no questions asked) on most of the models. The e70 X5 may have had a few selected build that came with a spare...but the compact spare was the usual fare if one actually came with a spare or again was an option that could be ordered.

Yes, just did, there are two, one relatively large(drivers side) and a smaller one(passenger side)

What's the reason ? need to satisfy all the tech / electronics ?
For various options that require additional power like EPS (electronic power steering) etc. See info below taken from the TIS website:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Glfbggy
575 Posts
There may have been an option for Europe, but in the US there has not been an option for spare tires for the f15, I'm aware of. Owner's manuals are almost always written for all markets, not just one market.

I also have a '14 f10. For that I can definitively say, there was no spare tire, even as an option.

While I do not have a '17, my '18 f15 was not available with a spare. There is a storage space and you potentially could place your own, but there really isn't enough space for the spare and a jack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We'll see in time how I like the Michelin run flats. I had Goodyear 'run craps' on my C6 Corvette GS and hated them. Replaced them with Michelin Pilot sports, carried a plug kit, inflator, can of 'goop' and never looked back.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There may have been an option for Europe, but in the US there has not been an option for spare tires for the f15, I'm aware of. Owner's manuals are almost always written for all markets, not just one market.

I also have a '14 f10. For that I can definitively say, there was no spare tire, even as an option.

While I do not have a '17, my '18 f15 was not available with a spare. There is a storage space and you potentially could place your own, but there really isn't enough space for the spare and a jack.
It could be ordered in the USA. I recall it being $150. If you dont have the spare and want one, you can order the parts from the parts department. ALthough will be significantly more expensive than $150.

Regardless of picking this option or not, you still got run-flats from factory.

·
Constantly Learning
2,013 Posts
There is a storage space and you potentially could place your own, but there really isn't enough space for the spare and a jack.
If you buy the kit it fits snugly. First thing I did, then sold the RFTs and bought Continental DWS.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2006 330i e90, change the engine and car won't start and give p0335 error code. I have changed 4 crankshaft sensor and still it won't start. I even got 2 crankshaft sensor from a working vehicle and still it won't start and still throw error code p0335 (crankshaft sensor).
What can I do now?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts