BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if BMW apps can be added after you purchase and take delivery? I was told that this could not be done by my sales consultant. I have the nav package with premium sound. It seems like this would be just a software install.

Also, can the power rear sun shade be added as well?

Thank you for your help everyone!

·
Fplanner2000
183 Posts
If your car is still on order, add these things to your order if you want them. If you've already got the car, you are pretty much SOL. Dealers are not equiped to add options. If they try to retrofit anything, it won't have the BMW warranty and will cost many times more than if you just added it to your order. That has been my experience.

·
The Driver
4,641 Posts
I think Patryk at Bimmertech can help, but retrofit is always more costly than factory option. In the case of BMW Apps, not worth it for retrofit imo.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
There was a thread a bit back on adding the rear window shade ..... the board wisdom was that maybe someone after market can do it but difficult and expensive.

Just get the rear window tinted.

I have the mechanical shade and never use it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I think the rear window shade is pretty cool. I went to the dealership to order my car and ended driving off in one. I mistakenly thought the rear window shade was in either the cold weather or premium package. The car I bought had just been delivered to the dealership and still had all the shipping plastic and cardboard protecting it. So, I did a fairly risky thing and bought it before I even drove it. It wasn't until later that I realized the button for the shade wasn't there. :-( Oh well, no biggie! I plan to tint my windows this week anyway.

As for the BMW apps, does anyone know what would need to be done to have it added? Is there a hardware component(s) that have to be installed or is it software only?

Thanks again for the input! :)

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Thanks for your input. I think the rear window shade is pretty cool. I went to the dealership to order my car and ended driving off in one. I mistakenly thought the rear window shade was in either the cold weather or premium package. The car I bought had just been delivered to the dealership and still had all the shipping plastic and cardboard protecting it. So, I did a fairly risky thing and bought it before I even drove it. It wasn't until later that I realized the button for the shade wasn't there. :-( Oh well, no biggie! I plan to tint my windows this week anyway.

As for the BMW apps, does anyone know what would need to be done to have it added? Is there a hardware component(s) that have to be installed or is it software only?

Thanks again for the input! :)
For BMW Apps, only the Combox (Assist) module is required for the software activation. The current aftermarket retrofit does not include the baseplate as it is not required. There is no OEM retrofit as of now, however next month BMW will be issuing the activation codes for this option so some kind of OEM retrofit could be coming soon.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Technic - Since I have BMW assist, does that mean that all I need to do is have the BMW Apps installed? If so, is this done at the dealer or something I can do online or through a call to BMW?

Thanks for the great information!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More information please

For BMW Apps, only the Combox (Assist) module is required for the software activation. The current aftermarket retrofit does not include the baseplate as it is not required. There is no OEM retrofit as of now, however next month BMW will be issuing the activation codes for this option so some kind of OEM retrofit could be coming soon.
Technic - Since I have BMW assist, does that mean that all I need to do is have the BMW Apps installed? If so, is this done at the dealer or something I can do online or through a call to BMW?

Thanks for the great information!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts