BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't see a very good place to post this question but is there any benefit to actually put the key fob in the key slot when driving the vehicle? I've had my bimmer almost 3 weeks now, I just leave the fob in my pocket all the time and use the CA. Just checking if there was any actual benefit to using the key slot or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

· Porleau
1,565 Posts
Doesn't do anything if you have CA. Non-CA will charge batteries.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
At one point, we were advised to periodically use the slot to update the fob memory, but I doubt that is still necessary.

The one time I insert it in the dash is when I'm forced to use valet parking, so I don't forget and walk off with the fob in my pocket.

Tom

· ///Multiple
4,586 Posts
Didn't see a very good place to post this question but is there any benefit to actually put the key fob in the key slot when driving the vehicle? I've had my bimmer almost 3 weeks now, I just leave the fob in my pocket all the time and use the CA. Just checking if there was any actual benefit to using the key slot or not.
Since you have CA, there is no benefit to putting your CA key fob in the key slot. Your fob has a replaceable battery (CR2032 IIRC) and should last 2-3 years before it needs replacement.

For those who don't have CA, their fob contains a non-replaceable rechargeable battery. Those fobs must be inserted into the key slot periodically while driving as it is only way to recharge the battery.

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
For those who don't have CA, their fob contains a non-replaceable rechargeable battery. Those fobs must be inserted into the key slot periodically while driving as it is only way to recharge the battery.
and the only way to be able to drive the car :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.