BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brand Loyal
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for an hour. There's a ton of info on installations, but I just want to pull the cover off tonight on the 540 to take a look at something.

Besides the two big torx bolts on the underside, and the two screws in the wheel wells, is there anything else I need to pull? What about under the trim strips?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just took the bolts off the wheel well and took out all the push-pins and the cover just came right out. I did not take the hex-bolts off.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just took the bolts off the wheel well and took out all the push-pins and the cover just came right out. I did not take the hex-bolts off.
Hope that helps.
No offense dipp but that is WAY more work than is needed to remove the bumper, plus you will need to replace those push-pins...

Remove the screws in the wheel well and the two torx and it comes off easily. I can get mine off in 5 minutes. Takes a couple more minutes to put it on as you have to line up both sides, but all in all it isn't that bad.

·
Registered
641 Posts
No offense dipp but that is WAY more work than is needed to remove the bumper, plus you will need to replace those push-pins...

Remove the screws in the wheel well and the two torx and it comes off easily. I can get mine off in 5 minutes. Takes a couple more minutes to put it on as you have to line up both sides, but all in all it isn't that bad.
+1

·
Brand Loyal
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got back to this after I was all done getting off. I did end up taking off the bumper support, which I found was unnecessary and it made it a lot harder to maneuver. Of course, if you want to keep from having to buy extra expanding rivets, you can the the bumper support off, but then you'll have to re-align your bumper fitment before you retighten the bolts. If you don't take it off, you're cover should align just the way it was.

After futzing around with it, here's my procedure to make it come off cleanly and easily for a one man job. I have headlight washers but not PDC.

- Pry the impact strips away from the bumper cover, from the bottom of the strip. Punch the centers of the 2 black expanding rivets that are under the strips on each side. Pop the centers all the way through and in until they fall out the back. Remove all the plastic head and make sure you get the expanding center, otherwise it will still hold the cover on. You'll need replacements for these rivets. There's no way around it. (There are 8 expanding rivets total.)
- Do the same with the 4 expanding rivets on the underside of the bumper.
- Unscrewed the outermost 8mm hex head screw in each forward wheel liner.
- Unscrew the 4 10mm hex screws in the recesses of the bottom of the wheel liners/support that attach to the bumper, on both sides. Yes, you can take all the screws out of inside of the wheel liner, but then the liner will still be attached to the bumper, making it a bitch to pull the bumper straight off, especially if you've got the car on the floor. It's easier to get it off if you remove the outermost wheel liner screw, leave the two inner ones and take out the 4 screws underneath that affix the wheel liner to the bumper.
- Gently work the bumper cover straight out on each side by pulling forward at the pointed top corner of the bumper cover in front of the wheel well. There is a slide mount bracket under the cover that holds it in place there, and the only clean way to remove the cover is to pull it straight off at that point.
- Don't try to take if all the way off. You'll need to disconnect your fogs and your washer nozzle hoses from the nozzles. Just put the black retainer clip where the hose slips over the nozzle. Don't do what I did and try to pull the nozzles out of the cover. There are two small plastic things that hold the metal spring clip in place, and they break easily! The washer hose feeds from the left side (looking at the car).
- Once you've taken the hose away, you can remove the cover easily.

Hope this helps the next guy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very old thread but in case anyone lands here easier way I have found after doing this several times over the last 17 years or so I have had my 2003 540 msport is to simply remove the wheel well 3 screws and the two big bolts grab the bumper, and put the bumper in my basement shop to work on. Get lots of fun looks carrying it the block from my garage in the city to my house ;).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts