BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you buy a car European Delivery, what taxes do you have to worry about? I read on Gary's site that you don't have to pay sales tax when you buy a car European Delivery. Does this mean that even if you order the car in the state that has sales tax, you don't have to pay it when it is a European Delivery car?

thanks very much.

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
It depends on the sales tax law in the state you purchased the car.

For example, I lived in AZ when I did my ED last year. They had recently changed the sales tax law and sales tax was required to be paid. Had I placed my order a few months earlier and paid for the car before the new law into effect, I would not have had to pay AZ sales tax on it.

I believe CA has a time and/or mileage based rule where if the ED car comes into CA a certain # months and/or miles after purchase you can get a tax rebate. I'm not sure of the specifics though...

·
!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting. I live in South Carolina. Looks like a bit of research is in order.

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
742 Posts
sales tax

The way I read that site was that you could save on taxes because you paid less for the car to begin with. So, if I save $5,000 off the car we plan to buy by taking ED, then that saves me about $400 in taxes (about 8% here in MO).

·
Registered
510 Posts
It depends on the state laws, which are different from state to state. I believe that some states don't even have a state sales tax.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that New Hampshire has sales tax on only Hotel rooms & restaurant meals.

Mark

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,093 Posts
NH resident on E.D.

mbushnell said:
It depends on the state laws, which are different from state to state. I believe that some states don't even have a state sales tax.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that New Hampshire has sales tax on only Hotel rooms & restaurant meals.

Mark
True, as a New Hampshire resident, I didn't pay sales tax on E.D. But then, no one in NH pays sales tax on cars. The state just sticks it to you when you register the car (based on a percentage of the car's value).

What was interesting, however, is that the state's computer establishes the taxable value of your car, instead charging a percentage of the purchase price. Therefore, it thinks that all 3-series cost $29,950, since that's the base price. If you've got $10K of options, it's not taxed.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts