BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a question before I buy winter tires. Do you think I can run 4 235/35R - 19 on the oem 351 wheels for the 650xi coupe?

I see the straight 19s are 245/40R-19. I want to make sure these other ones can hold the weight of this beast?

· Registered
650 Posts
It's not a matter of weight in this case, it's a matter of diameter. 235/35-19 is too small with an overall diameter of 25.7 inches. This will effect your speedometer reading, "gearing" and appearance.

You can certainly use a 235 section winter tire, but at a minimum you need to go with 235/40-19 (26.7in) or better yet 235/45-19 (27.6in) A slightly taller tire for the winter is better IMO. The stock 6er diameter ranges from 26.7 to 27 inches depending on set up.

Personally I plan to go with 245/45-19 winter tires on dedicated wheels - or a dedicated vehicle - I haven't decided. Consult Tire Rack for additional information. Its website is full of great reports, data and reviews.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a matter of weight in this case, it's a matter of diameter. 235/35-19 is too small with an overall diameter of 25.7 inches. This will effect your speedometer reading, "gearing" and appearance.

You can certainly use a 235 section winter tire, but at a minimum you need to go with 235/40-19 (26.7in) or better yet 235/45-19 (27.6in) A slightly taller tire for the winter is better IMO. The stock 6er diameter ranges from 26.7 to 27 inches depending on set up.

Personally I plan to go with 245/45-19 winter tires on dedicated wheels - or a dedicated vehicle - I haven't decided. Consult Tire Rack for additional information. Its website is full of great reports, data and reviews.
Bonz- thank you for the info, extremely helpful!

· Registered
650 Posts
Uhhhgg. Today's the day I have to make the switch. I held off as long as I could, but the temps have dropped and are staying below 40. Not to mention there's a dusting of snow on the ground this morning. I ended up going with an OEM setup - the 18" V spoke 281s with Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 3D DSST. Cost a little bit more than a deal from tire rack, but the set up is covered by the wheel/tire insurance I purchased from my dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.