BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use any F10 wheel on my 535i xDrive?

My car has the 19" Luxury Line wheels that came with the 2016 Luxury Line cars. I'd like to get something with a little more sidewall for the winter, and I have a line on a couple of sets of F10 528i wheels from a 2011 model with 17" tires.

For the winter months, I'm not so much worried about the aesthetics, but more so not trashing wheels and tires (especially those that I'd have to turn in at lease end..)

Can the 17" wheels be used? Do they have to be xDrive specific? I've read about the xDrive system being very sensitive to different wheels.

·
Familienwappen
918 Posts
I'm sure others can give more details but if memory serves from when I did this same thing the 17" should fit only as long as you don't have the sport package on. I had to go with 18" but have found this is a very good balance between response and give for those nasty winter potholes etc. I went with a 3rd party wheel that has plastic spacers so that is a pain but otherwise all is well. Yes, I have hit some pretty bad holes - not on purpose - and not much as even a bubble on the RFT type of tire. Having winter performance tires on makes it just like summer so long as the roads are dry. Plus the extra bite in snow is a world of difference from the not so good all-season crap that everyone else is driving on. Example, my driveway has an 11 degree slope up into the garage, before the winter performance tires there were many days I ended up parking on the street not any more! :)

Hope this has helped.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,191 Posts
Unlike with the E60, offsets for the F10 and F10 xDrive are the same. 17" wheels are ideal for winter tires.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can anyone else chime in here on this issue?

I went to Discount Tire today and they were really reluctant to sell me tires for the 17" wheels I have, as their system showed that a 225/55 17" would work for the rear but not the front. I said that you can't stagger wheel sizes on the xDrive model so I called the accuracy of their database in question, and they agreed, but one tech said "he had experience with this" and they likely would not fit.

I bought this set of "327 style" wheels and I'd really like to use them. The BMW website shows they work for pre LCI 535i xDrives, but not 2014+ models. I've read conflicting things on the Internet about this. Are the brakes different on cars with the M-Sport package? Maybe this is the issue?

Anyone have any definitive answers? If they test fit the wheels and they clear the rotors and calipers, is there any reason I cant use these for winter wheels?

Any advice appreciated!

·
Casual Fanatic
2,191 Posts
Can anyone else chime in here on this issue?

I said that you can't stagger wheel sizes on the xDrive model so I called the accuracy of their database in question, and they agreed, but one tech said "he had experience with this" and they likely would not fit.
You are incorrect in stating that you cannot stagger wheel sizes on the xDrive. The issue is that you have to make sure that the rolling circumference is the same on all four wheels. A place like Tire Rack can advise you on what will work. But the 327 wheels are a square setup at ET30, so you should be good to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, wheels are on and they spin freely, so that's good news. They're in fair condition, but for winter I'm not too picky. As long as my 19" wheels stay in good shape. This will also likely allow me to not have to buy a set of RFTs at lease turn in, being as I'll run these for 4-6 months.

The guy at Discount Tire said as long as they spin freely and don't catch, they will work. I called my BMW dealer where I got the car and he said the same thing, and that his winter tire package for my car would also have been 17" BMW wheels. Discount Tire says they wouldn't have mounted them if they didn't think they would work.

I'm not a huge wheel and tire expert when it comes to clearance and such. On the front, I can stick the "square" part of a tire gauge in between the brake caliper and the wheel, but probably not a sheet of standard copier paper more. The rear has a little more clearance. When I initially left DT, the front left was making a rubbing noise every rotation, so they inspected and found that the wheel weights were shifted a little to far toward the inside of the wheel. They moved them and it seems fine now, but I guess that shows how little clearance there is with these.

For whatever reason, I'm still a little apprehensive of this wheel/car combination, but I took it out on the highway down to the next exit and it drove fine.

One thing he said is that the TPMS sensors in the old wheels I had were no good. They supposedly came off of a 2011 528i, so they could be dead or for a different frequency, as my research says there was a change around 9/10 production. I bought 4 new sensors and I've probably driven 8-10 miles but the TPMS still reports as "Resetting" - is this normal?

·
Casual Fanatic
2,191 Posts
At least with pre-LCI cars, you reset the TPMS with the car on and stationary. The "resetting" should only last a minute or so. Once you drive, the message should disappear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Last winter I ran the 236 OEM BMW wheels on my 2016 535ix. They are about the best you can do . more sidewall. less foot print for more bite with snow tires. Strong. I went with Blizzaks because they seem to be a nice compromise for our mostly dry winter streets and , the occasional deep snow and ice. next time, hakapolitas.

however. and importantly, I made certain that these wheels were BMW approved and got the info directly from the Dealership parts dept before buying them NOS on ebay for a fraction of the price, mint, not remanufactured. 4 2014s with RFTs, and sensors for 900, shipped. you will need your VIN and the wheel part number. You might not like the answer.

I didn't want any warranty issues. These are the same wheel the dealership sells with its winter tire package. 17" wheels are "not cool", and not sexy, so they are available cheaply, often unused or barely used. I happen to love them. They are very forgiving not only of pot holes, deeper mud and snow conditions, but, curb rash too. even with RFT snows, they seem to be a nice ride with the larger side wall. Have taken a jolt or two and things seem fine.

I too would be apprehensive if you're still not sure if these wheels are approved for the car. clearance must be right in order to avoid damage, as you are aware. Id call and confirm with the dealership parts dept. btw, BMW USA "genius" knows nothing about this issue, and they will advise you to do the same. I would guess, and only that, that if you damage the caliper(s) you will incur a bill larger than I did for my wheels tires and sensors.....

I use discount tire all the time and have for decades. Let me say, they don't always provide accurate info, in my experience. in fact they put two different sized new tire pair on my E60 x a few years ago and it caused fits until this was discovered. do not expect them to know about bmws, nor to take care of you if they are wrong. they know tires, mostly, kinda.

fwiw, however, I just saw an F10 528 an hour ago at the grocery lot, and noticed the wheel style, (your style wheels,) but had no idea of the year of the F10 car I saw. problem is, BMW may or may not have made some change.....minor but critical?????who knows.

as for the tpms , don't know. were they new bmw oem sensors? only thing I can think of is battery or compatibility,(if this is an issues at all???)
good luck

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
One thing he said is that the TPMS sensors in the old wheels I had were no good. They supposedly came off of a 2011 528i, so they could be dead or for a different frequency, as my research says there was a change around 9/10 production. I bought 4 new sensors and I've probably driven 8-10 miles but the TPMS still reports as "Resetting" - is this normal?
No. I had the same issue and it turns out I had the wron sensors; even though the frequency was the same (433 megs). I didn't catch your model year/mfg. date. For post 9/10 F10 build dates the correct p/n should be 36106790054.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts