BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing my 86 325 ES is R-12. is there any thing we can do to recharge our systems that doesn't involve an expensieve, complicated, refit? Does Pep Boys or AutoZone carry something, and if so what's it called? Thanks!

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Lotsa people use Freeze-12. It's compatible with R12 and R134a. There are some others out there too like Hot Shot, Duracool, and Kar Kool. The problem with these is that shops will not touch your system if you're using these, as it will contaminate their retrieval systems.

I've seen people flush their old R12 systems, use the adapter fittings and run R134 in them though. I've even seen some simply convert the fittings and recharge an empty R12 system with R134, I don't know how long this will last though.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yeah...I've heard of frezze 12...do I have discharge my system before I use stuff like that or is it just plug and play?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I recently did a 134a conversion on a Maxima

My sons 89 Maxima was very low on Freon. Was going to need almost 2 lbs. After seeing freon 12 going for over $40 a can on eBay, picked up a 134a conversion kit by Intermatics (was $35 on sale from Strauss Auto). I recovered the freon 12 from the system, and simply followed the directions on the box. Did nothing exotic, did not flush purge or use a vacuum pump. Everthing needed was in the box. Seems to work fine, nice and cool. Only been a month so cannot say anything about longevity. Even if I have to add 1 can a year of 134a, at $9 is tolerable (car only has 1-2 years left in it anyway).

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
omw41 said:
Ok yeah...I've heard of frezze 12...do I have discharge my system before I use stuff like that or is it just plug and play?
I believe it can be mixed with either R12 or R134a.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i dont think it can

i had mine converted over and it works great

only my expansion vavle is stuck open,so you gotta be moving(not high rpm) to enjoy cold air in my car

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, no. I haven't even checked the system yet. all I know is the car doesn't get cold, for all I know, the compressor doesn't even work....but I'm just thinking ahead.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My compressor was not engaging, found the problem was the a/c switch. Took it out, took it apart, cleaned the contacts re-installed and started working but not very well. The sight glass on the drier showed many air bubbles, low freon. Bought a cheap gauge and sure enough only half# of r-12 (never converted to r-134). I topped it off with some r-134 I had on the shelf, cleaned the condensor with a garden hose(full of sand), wired up a toggle switch to the high temp. sensor on the radiator, and my a/c is colder than my infinity I30T. Cleaning the condensor and adding the switch to the high temp. sensor (turns the aux. fan on high) made a huge difference while sitting in traffic. I am very happy with the results, but I do wonder how long it will last.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts