BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm heading home for a quick lunch (1 of the few who can do that in the Bay Area) :thumbup: and I see this SCHWEET dark grey E30 come zipping past me heading towards a red stoplight. I pull alongside.

No words were spoken, but we both knew our duties to pit the lighter E30 325 to the higher HP E46 325. Light turns green and we're OFF!

Well, I still haven't perfected launching this car, and the DSC was on, but got off OK. Lemme tell ya, the sound of two BMW engines at full song is [email protected] sweet! I was shocked (and impressed) to see that the E30 was keeping pretty good pace with me until I got past 4,500 on the tach. After that I pulled away pretty cleanly.

I went for the shift to 2nd and before I knew it, the gearshift POPS RIGHT OFF IN MY HAND! Undeterred, I nudged the "stub" into 3rd gear and we continued until I had to merge into the E30's lane.

He followed me up to the stop sign where I was turning into my complex and we gave each other a great big :bigpimp: and a :thumbup: :thumbup: . Gotta luv it!

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TopazTim325 said:

I went for the shift to 2nd and before I knew it, the gearshift POPS RIGHT OFF IN MY HAND! Undeterred, I nudged the "stub" into 3rd gear and we continued until I had to merge into the E30's lane.
I hate that :mad:

·
Registered
290 Posts
TopazTim325 said:
OK, so I'm heading home for a quick lunch (1 of the few who can do that in the Bay Area) :thumbup: and I see this SCHWEET dark grey E30 come zipping past me heading towards a red stoplight. I pull alongside.

No words were spoken, but we both knew our duties to pit the lighter E30 325 to the higher HP E46 325. Light turns green and we're OFF!

Well, I still haven't perfected launching this car, and the DSC was on, but got off OK. Lemme tell ya, the sound of two BMW engines at full song is [email protected] sweet! I was shocked (and impressed) to see that the E30 was keeping pretty good pace with me until I got past 4,500 on the tach. After that I pulled away pretty cleanly.

He followed me up to the stop sign where I was turning into my complex and we gave each other a great big :bigpimp: and a :thumbup: :thumbup: . Gotta luv it!
LOL! How hard were you workin' that stick? Glad to hear you were unfettered, but I have never heard of that happening before. :thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Raced an E30 the other day....

dog said:

LOL! How hard were you workin' that stick? Glad to hear you were unfettered, but I have never heard of that happening before. :thumbup:
Ja, guess I musta been workin' it pretty hard with the adrenaline rush. But apparently, I'm not the only 1. Right, Nate? :)

·
10,856 Posts
My original shifter knob popped off many times. I got the dealer to replace it with a new one, and the problem went away.

Then I got a Rob Knob, and with the allen screw, the problem has probably died a slow, strangled death. :)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Raced an E30 the other day....

TopazTim325 said:

Ja, guess I musta been workin' it pretty hard with the adrenaline rush. But apparently, I'm not the only 1. Right, Nate? :)
Yea, I have had it happen several times.

Done it at auto-x when I launched very hard and had the tires smoking (at least the inside one :rolleyes: )

only on 1-2 shifts though

·
2,457 Posts
TopazTim325 said:
I went for the shift to 2nd and before I knew it, the gearshift POPS RIGHT OFF IN MY HAND!
Same thing happened at my first track event! Put some duct tape on top of the shifter stalk and slam the know back on. Funny thing was that I held the shifter knob in my hand for a few seconds before thinking "I should throw this in the back seat and get moving". The instructor was saying "Shift, Shift!". It wasn't until after I was done with my run that I told him the knob came off...

It was funny though.

Glad you had fun with your car, but be safe!:thumbup:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
I try to shift quick, but never force it, which is why I have never ripped a knob off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Raced an E30 the other day....

LarryN said:

Glad you had fun with your car, but be safe!:thumbup:
Definitely... It was a wide-open, low-traffic road with nobody out front. Actually had to keep the speeds relatively sane since I know that the coppers tend to hang out at the blind intersection right up the same street.

It could have been worse... I could have been racing through an empty parking lot that I'd never been in before! :p :angel:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Raced an E30 the other day....

TopazTim325 said:

It could have been worse... I could have been racing through an empty parking lot that I'd never been in before! :p :angel:
Ouch! Just think - if you did, you'd be sportin' a PHAT Buick right about now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts