BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Radar use in europe?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Seth 
#1 ·
So i will enable Ku band on my V1 and take it with me. Is radar detector use legal in Germany, Italy and Austria? Which countries in europe ban radar detectors? What kind of cars cops drive over there? What happeneds if i get pulled over for speeding? Do i pay fine on the spot? I guess they can't send me a bill to my California address.

Also, should i go to AAA and get an Intl license or will my CA driver license be enough?

#2 ·
Radar warners are illegal in Germany. They get confiscated if caught.

Fines are normally paid at the spot, especially if you are pulled over and a tourist.

The Autobahn cops in Germany drive almost every model german cars, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Opel. They are stealth, i.e. no marks, signs etc. and they are equipped with in-car cameras. So resistance is futile ;)

#3 ·
#4 ·
yan_745Li said:
Also, should i go to AAA and get an Intl license or will my CA driver license be enough?
Don't know about Italy, but legally you need an international license (essentially a certified translation of your US drivers license) to drive in Austria. On my trips to Austria, I've never bothered but I've never been pulled over either. In Germany, you're OK for 3 or 6 months (I forget which but it basically amounts to the length of a tourist VISA) on your US license.

Considering that you can speed all you want on most sections of the Autobahn (and in practice on the Autostrada too), the V1 is not worth the risk. Backing up what Alex said, the Polizei are virtually invisible if they want to be.

#6 ·
Alex said it all and he's right. I've heard that "photo radar" tickets are written off as unenforcible for rental cars or us EDers...but mine made a nice souvenier. Just watch out for overpasses and the usual "won't have a speed trap here" brain fade thing. Like in America, go with the flow or tuck in behind a fast one. And absolutely positively don't tailgate, that will get you in jail.

#9 ·
Get the International Driver's license.

It's easy to get at AAA even if you are not a member and you need it in Austria. Also, when you enter Austria you need to go to a rest stop or convenience stop and buy one of the stickers which allows you to drive on their highways -- it's a few bucks and will save you aggravation if you are stopped without it.

#10 ·
Good Point!!!

jerrykdc said:
It's easy to get at AAA even if you are not a member and you need it in Austria. Also, when you enter Austria you need to go to a rest stop or convenience stop and buy one of the stickers which allows you to drive on their highways -- it's a few bucks and will save you aggravation if you are stopped without it.
I had forgotten about the Austria's highway vignette - you must purchase it if you plan on driving on Austria's highways - IIRC you can get a 7 day vignette for around €15. You don't need it if you plan on using Austria's secondary roads.

P.S. You can usually get these vignettes at any ADAC office throughout Germany (they're the equivalent of AAA) or at any gas station/rest stop within a dozen miles of either side of the Germany/Austria border.

#11 ·
jerrykdc said:
they can bite me. i am not putting any stickers on a new 7er. the best i can do is buy it and just keep it in the car.

#15 ·
Alstoy said:
I just placed both this & the Swiss stickers on the dash (did not stick)-no problems.
cool, thx for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.