Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a persistent leak at teh bottom of my radiator that I have been putting off fixing for a year or so, but have decided to take the plunge and change it out over the holidays,

A BMW one is $350 on ECS and a Nissens one is $250 there but only $125 on RockAuto, so very attractive.

Anyone used a Nissens radiator before?

I have checked on here and there are surprisingly few radiator change threads

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
I have a persistent leak at teh bottom of my radiator that I have been putting off fixing for a year or so, but have decided to take the plunge and change it out over the holidays,

A BMW one is $350 on ECS and a Nissens one is $250 there but only $125 on RockAuto, so very attractive.

Anyone used a Nissens radiator before?

I have checked on here and there are surprisingly few radiator change threads
search by Google you might find more results for here.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I found plenty of cheaper options (different brands), but I had at least heard of Nissens somewhere (though admittedly that might be only due to their similarity to Nissan)

I'll try FCP also

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sadly yes. I can see the crusty coolant between the fins. I wiped everything off dry and it reappeared in the same spot, with everything else staying dry.

I ordered the Nissens auto unit (and hoses and O rings) from RA yesterday. Even with free shipping, FCP was more expensive and wouldn't even ship for 4 days. And as a bonus I found a 5% discount code, so thanks to J Ants for that suggestion.

I have already done the ET twice, plus water pump and both thermostats, so this will now complete the circuit overhaul.

135k miles, for those interested.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to close this out - I did the radiator change-out over the holidays and it went smoothly enough. The only issue was the plastic push-pin type connector on the LH top of the radiator that broke which then turned into a PITA to get out.

Sure enough there was quite a bit of leakage evidence at the LH bottom of the unit.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I should have know better than to post on a radiator thread. Sure enough... the radiator on my X3 just developed a small leak. I guess the timing's good as I already had a thermostat on its way due to codes showing up in ISTA. so will only have to drain the coolant once to replace 2 components.

AM.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which T/S ? Main? Doing the water pump too?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, main stat. Pump was replaced before I bought the car 2 yrs. ago, so not replacing it. I'm guessing the stat is original, but can't see a date code on it.

AM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts