BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 BMW 325i. I am having issues with the radiator fan and need to trouble shoot before replacing the fan if that is not the problem. The vehicle overheats and I observed the fan comes on when the AC is on but does not when off, as such the vehicle has on several time run very hot. On one occasion the vehicle stopped and after it cooled off I was able to start. Please advise. Not sure it is the fan, I think it might be a fuse...

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 2003 BMW 325i. I am having issues with the radiator fan and need to trouble shoot before replacing the fan if that is not the problem. The vehicle overheats and I observed the fan comes on when the AC is on but does not when off, as such the vehicle has on several time run very hot. On one occasion the vehicle stopped and after it cooled off I was able to start. Please advise. Not sure it is the fan, I think it might be a fuse...
Welcome to the forum!
Just need a bit more info- is the car auto or manual? Manuals (as you know) have one fan. If you want to (and i would suggest it) try the cheap method. Check for any blow fuses and relays. That would be the first step. If you see that did not help, then it might be a connection or you may need to replace the fan. Also, if I am not mistaken I think the fans on manual cars only turn on when the A/C is on and comes on only when necessary. I swapped mine out (fan clutch to electric) about 2 weeks ago and had no issues so far with cooling.
Also, did you check your coolant level and for any leaks in the coolant hoses? Radiator still in good shape, no cracks or leaks?
Good luck, keep us posted. Hope you get this fixed soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radiator Fan Issue

Ok, the coolant reservoir cracked as a result of the over heating, so we replaced the reservoir as part of the fix. My vehicle is a 5 speed manual shift car. The issue on had is the vehicle overheats. The fan only comes on when the air condition is turned on, but does not when off and the engine runs. I do not think it is the fan that need to be replaced, because it runs when the AC is on. I am leaning to a relay issue or a fuse. The thermostat was replaced and the system bleed.. Please advice.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ok, the coolant reservoir cracked as a result of the over heating, so we replaced the reservoir as part of the fix. My vehicle is a 5 speed manual shift car. The issue on had is the vehicle overheats. The fan only comes on when the air condition is turned on, but does not when off and the engine runs. I do not think it is the fan that need to be replaced, because it runs when the AC is on. I am leaning to a relay issue or a fuse. The thermostat was replaced and the system bleed.. Please advice.
That is very strange. All I know (or aware is) is yes your fan is working fine because it comes on when A/C is on which is a good sign. But yes it should come one when the car starts getting a little too hot. Check the cooling fan relay (black box to the left of the fan) that may be your problem. However I doubt it is as you say fan comes on when ac is on. I'd check the fuses for sure, then again if it was I doubt the fan would ever turn on, or would barely work. But no harm in checking. To be honest, I'd wait and see if anyone else here has any idea. If nothing fixes it then you would have to take it to a trustworthy mechanic and have him/her check it out.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts