BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 528i, Car is turned off, Key is out. Radio and Dash lights stay on permanently. Any idea why? Previously mentioned a possible General Module issue but dont think this is the case as no one else has seemed to have had the same problem with the radio not being able to turn off. Any Help would be much appreciated!!!!!

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
You do the "failed" ignition switch test? Start car, turn on some electrical items (headlights, radio, rear elec shade, etc)...then reach over and pull down the passenger sun visor, then open the cover on the mirror. If this causes other strange electrical gremlins (steering wheel moves, horn doesn't work, interior lights come on, headlights turn off, etc)...then the issue is more than likely your ignition switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply. Tried the ignition test, none of the telltale signs. Still just the radio, and the dash and shifter lights not going out. The remote key will still not work as well. Its almost as if the car is not registering that it has been shut of/ key taken out etc. It did stop by itself for about half an hour and then the same problem came back. Any other suggestions tips much appreciated!!

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Swap the ignition switch and report back.

Check realoem.com using your VIN.
But for 1997 528i, the PN is 61326902013 (about $70).
At 15 years old, the car will likely need a new ignition switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks for the info! Will switch out this weekend. Any thoughts on the potential for a general module issue?

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
Common problems are common. Ignition Switch goes dead after 12-15y/150K or so.

Gen Module lasts a looong time and is rarely an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem that drained my battery.
Dash lights were on continuously but found that the USB port stabbed into the cigarette lighter to power my phone was actually the problem.. I now have to pull the USB and the internal metal cigarette lighter out of it's plastic housing to turn the dash lights off.
I hope that helps others - it might just be a unique electrical gremlin just for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had something similar happen randomly over the summer. I disconnected the battery, waited a few minutes, then reconnected. Problem solved. Has never happened again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have the x5 e53 i cant get the dashbord lights togo out all the lights are on inside the car dont know what else to try wished someone could help tryed to get info every where no luck

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Did you just recently replace/disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
So, did the problem appear immediately after replacing the battery?

·
Registered
14 Posts
been trying to get them off all night diconnect the battery leave for a hour still no luck as soon a i reconnect the complete dashboard light come on

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
You do the "failed" ignition switch test? Start car, turn on some electrical items (headlights, radio, rear elec shade, etc)...then reach over and pull down the passenger sun visor, then open the cover on the mirror. If this causes other strange electrical gremlins (steering wheel moves, horn doesn't work, interior lights come on, headlights turn off, etc)...then the issue is more than likely your ignition switch.
I love this test is so esoteric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
found the problem hope this helps anyone else who has it
the centre consol where the phone point is the wires break in the hinge when moving it up n down the lights flickered on and off the wires in the hinge apparently break
causing a short circut on the dashboard cut the sheath & seperate the wires hope this helps someone who has the same issues drove me mad

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes it's a short circuit in the console..
For me it was the wires about 5 inches from the cigarette plug. When they short out, the dash illuminates. Its probably the same circuit as the phone, but my car doesn't have a phone.
The phone hinge post pointed me in the right direction.
E39 1998 540i

1 - 19 of 19 Posts