BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a year ago I bought a 1995 740il and I love it, although it had a few mechanical problems that I've fixed its a really nice car. The only downside is it has no radio! The Part number is or should be "65128352868"

Anyways I went to an Audio Express to install a brand new after market radio but they told me it would cost over 10k!? They said They would have to replace the speakers and some other crap. I didn't take the offer because that is way too much!

My question is if it is possible to put an aftermarket radio on my 95 740il, if so how would I install it myself.
or where can I buy the original radio?
Thanks

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Do you have the DSP unit to the right of the opening in the dash where the cass/radio unit goes?

I'm sure a Google search like "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x = the 11 digits you posted above) should pull up enough info on sites like eBay or other sites that sell used BMW components.

You can also use the CD43 (in dash single CD/radio) used in the e36 during the same time the e38 & e36 were being produced. You can't run the CDC in the trunk, but you can use single CDs and I also believe you can install the iPod/MP3 hook ups that are offered for the e36 3 series.

Here's some pics of an e38 with a CD43 installed (this e38 did NOT have the DSP option...as you can see the in-dash coin holder is in place of the DSP unit):

(CD43 installed...the cover still can flip down over the knobs)

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
What's daveFM? I have the 6 cd changer in my 98 740il, but the cd's are only displayed by its number and not name.
That's not a pic of me. :). I believe this forum member's name was Chuck, and he appears to be listening to an FM radio station (note FM2 on the far left of the CD43's display)...and he also has RDS/PTY initiated. The RDS/PTY feature of the CD43 will display songs and other data sent from a radio station...what we probably see is a remnant of the data scroll that was being sent out by the station he was listening to.

BTW, if your radio doesn't have RDS/PTY...you will have the WB (weather band).

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are tons and tons of threads about exactly how to do after market or factory upgrades to these cars. Use the search feature and study.

Long story short though, if you really need better sound and you have DSP, then get your wallet out and prepare to spend some money, DIY or not it's gonna cost ya to get it right.

From what I have read, the best option is to do a MK4 nav swap. You will need everything from the head unit to the trunk including the wiring harness, it's a hell of a job but in the end it's worth it I think.

2nd best option is to gut the whole DSP system out of the car and go with new apps. cd changer, head unit and speakers.

Like I said, the equipment cost is gonna be high either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.