BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 328 vert with comfort/convenient access. When I park, press the button to stop the engine, and then exit the car, the sound system stays on and the iDrive screen stays on. It will shut off if I touch the door handle and lock the car, but stays on if I don't lock the car. It does shut off eventually, but I don't understand why it doesn't shut off right away. Can anyone shed some light on this? By the way, this is my first ever post on a forum. Hope I haven't embarassed myself!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome aboard. This is pretty common and has been discussed a lot on this forum. Hold down on the Stop/Start button longer. It should shut down normally.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
It will turn off after a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't feel embarrased. I think we all go through it. It's a "feature." It simulated what the "electric" mode on a traditional key selector would do i.e., allow you to run the radio or other items that use the electric system w/o the engine running. I use this all the time when I'm using the bluetooth on a call in a parking lot and don't need the engine running.

As mentioned, to turn your car off completely before exiting just hold the start button for 3-4 sec. and everything will shut down. If you just quickly press the start button the electric system will shut down when you lock the car.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Don't feel embarrased. I think we all go through it. It's a "feature." It simulated what the "electric" mode on a traditional key selector would do i.e., allow you to run the radio or other items that use the electric system w/o the engine running. I use this all the time when I'm using the bluetooth on a call in a parking lot and don't need the engine running.

As mentioned, to turn your car off completely before exiting just hold the start button for 3-4 sec. and everything will shut down. If you just quickly press the start button the electric system will shut down when you lock the car.
Yep. This is all correct.

I didn't go into that level of detail, but it is designed to function as a traditional key based system would work. It provides the ability to work the radio, windows, etc. without the engine running.

Pressing it quick will shut the engine down but leave the electrical system active. Holding it down longer will shut everything down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Or just hit the start button twice and first the engine shuts off and then the idrive will shut off on the second push

1 - 7 of 7 Posts