BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Festers,

I have talked with BMW of North America & 3-dealers, one of which sold the vehicle new. None were able to locate a code from their data base with the serial number stamped on the radio, or from the paper tag attached with the MDL Number & P-No. Here are the numbers. It would seem to me that the information is "out there somewhere" or an override code, or the ability to remove/add a personal code. I have literally spent 16 man hours talking to people on the phone and/or researching on the Web. I am at my wit's end.
I also need help on how to enter the radio code (The owners manual states there is a separate booklet for radio operation which I cannot seem to find anywhere.

Thanks All (I know there's a saint out there somewhere with the answers)

Radio Serial number: F40192898B
MDL Number: CM5903L
P-NO: 90881600303
Version 3

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,539 Posts
Did you physically take the radio to the dealer you bought it from and ask for the code, or just call them?

·
I have questions!!
86 Posts
It SHOULD be as simple as calling your local BMW dealership, asking for the parts department, and telling them you have a factory radio that you need the code for.
They will need the F40192898B number and possibly the brand radio ( Alpine, or whatever, if it says somewhere on one of those stickers...not critical but easier for them to track down)
They SHOULD give you a 5 digit code number that you will promptly write on the casing of the radio with a Sharpie like we all do, thus rendering the security device useless. :)
Anyway what will happen ( assuming all the other steps worked, cause you had a slightly intelligent BMW guy who actually found the code for you ) With the ignitoon OFF and the radio knob OFF, you will plug the super cool connector back into the back of the new radio as well as the antenna, and slip it halfway into its home so you can get to the buttons.
Turn the ignition ON and then turn the radio ON...it should say CODE on the face instead of a station number....simply hit the corresponding PRESET BUTTONS 1-6 to punch in the 5 digit code they gave you. ex: Button 1 for the number 1... Button 4 for the number 4 etc...
If it's the right code ( oh GOD please be the right code!!) then it'll BEEP with a piercing sharp beep that makes my dog bark, and WHALA! it should be good to go.
The trick to all this is, of course, is finding the dealer that knows what they are doing and knows what to do when you ask for a radio code!
If you cant find a knowlegable dealer near you, look up BMW of Monrovia (Ca.) cause I called them 2 times in a row for codes, and they did it correctly both times, no questions asked.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to say that if three reputable dealers told me the code is not in the database (they all use the same one supposedly provided by BMW of NA) I could call 2-dozen others and get the same answer (GIGO). The numbers are CORRECT so that is'nt the issue. I've read several forums where owners have the identical MDL NO & PN as mine. A number of replies provided codes (where they got them is beyond me). Some worked, some did'nt. I'll try the codes that worked for the owners and see what happens. The worst that can happen is I'll be locked out for an hour at a time. The code input info is invaluable-thanks much.

·
Too soon Junior
3,243 Posts
Physically take the radio itself (with the car...) to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you; call me stubborn, but the closest multi-brand dealer has me in their database for a different vehicle and the service manager already tried helping me with this. He could not find the code in their data base for codes, and I'm quite positive he would have suggested bringing the car in if he thought it would solve the mystery. It's as if the serial number was never input into the data base, or deleted somehow if it ever was. I received the following reply from [email protected], whom many told me could resolve:
"Subject: BMW Alpine CM5903 Radio Code Thanks for your email. Yes...we should be able to get your radio working again. The code for your BMW radio ,Alpine CM5903 does not use the normal memory chip for its security code. It uses a hardwired solder tag system inside your radio . So if you are happy to open up your radio , can take a photo of the relevant tags and can possibly use a soldering iron then please email and we will advise you further. With ComplimentsFor free advice + codesfor Ford + most Blaupunktplus many Philips, Grundig ,CHRYSLERsome Clarion + Becker+ a few others www.ukbookshelf.co.uk"

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,539 Posts
OK, you're stubborn. How's that? ;)

What does having you in their database under another vehicle have to do with getting the code for your BMW's radio?

I'm subscribed to this thread. I want to see how this turns out, so PLEASE post back what happens.

I HAD an Alpine CM5903 in my 318is (I upgraded to a Kenwood when the Alpine finally died), and it had a conventional five-digit code like every other BMW radio I've ever seen or heard about. No 'internal hardwired solder tag'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Stealer was'nt going to look up the code until he realized that my other car has been serviced on a regular basis at their service department and I was'nt one of the bad guys in A&E's "Jacked"- then he changed his tune. The people at [email protected] must be hitting the pipe. Stubborness sometimes pays off. You'd think that a mystery with so many clues could be solved a lot easier. Guess it's a sign of the times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts