BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.. Just got my first bimmer.. a beautiful 2000 528i.

Problem is there is no audio manual... can't for the life of me figure out how to change the settings from "flat".. anybody help?:eek:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
First off, above the radio, open the trim panel. If you have a cassette, which you likely do, there are the bass, treble, fade, and balance buttons there. If you have a CD, there is one button, I don't remember what it's called, but it cycles through the different options, which you choose with a + / - button.

Second, on your radio display (which is called the MID - Multi Information Display, because it shows a lot more info than just the radio), look for a button labeled "DSP". If you have it, it means you have the premium DSP sound. You can click that and you have some options. Church, Concert, Jazz Club, and Memory 1-3. Church, Concert, and Jazz Club are presets that are not editable. Memory 1-3 are user editable. You can change the settings on a handful of frequencies, and add echo/reverb.

Now you know you can do that, so just click the buttons till you figure it out. ;) Spend a while getting intimately acquainted with your new baby.

·
Registered
934 Posts
While we're on the subject, the radio on our E39s are awful. After driving my daily driver (92 525i w/ an aftermarket Pioneer headunit, stock speakers) and jumping in the wife's 98 540i(non-DSP), I was surprised that the audio sounded FLAT. I tried fixing it by playing around w/ the BASS and TREBLE settings, as well as the FADER (setting it to slightly have more sound coming from the rear).

The damn thing still sounds horrible! Yeah I know.. her car used to be my weekend warrior and I never complained, but come on, how can stock speakers out of a 92 be better? I haven't really played around w/ the audio on my 01 540i, since I'm a new manual gearbox driver and I'm still concentrating on the engine speed while I'm driving, but I'm pretty sure it will be just as horrible.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
True. Even the "premium" DSP sound is miserable.
Although, if you want a laugh, my dad has the a 98 E38 with DSP - it was a more expensive option on E38s IIRC, and it sounds even worse! ZERO bass, compared to our almost zero bass.

I just sold my DSP amp to another member, and am working on fabricating a mount for my new Alpine V-Power amps. So right now I'm just listening to the engine and non-existent exhaust noise. I need to do the resonator+silencer delete ASAP. Lol. New amps and an Infinity sub going in soon, and new speakers eventually.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
True. Even the "premium" DSP sound is miserable.
Although, if you want a laugh, my dad has the a 98 E38 with DSP - it was a more expensive option on E38s IIRC, and it sounds even worse! ZERO bass, compared to our almost zero bass.

I just sold my DSP amp to another member, and am working on fabricating a mount for my new Alpine V-Power amps. So right now I'm just listening to the engine and non-existent exhaust noise. I need to do the resonator+silencer delete ASAP. Lol. New amps and an Infinity sub going in soon, and new speakers eventually.
So true, check out my observations on opened stock DSP woofer. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285045

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phantom.. Thanks for your help..

Unfortunately no luck. I do have a CD player with 1 button option called "tone", There is no DSP button.

when i press the tone button it shows "FLAT" on the right side of the display with options to adhust base, teble, balance, and fader.

Just because the word "flat" appears must mean that i should be able to change it somehow...it is driving me crazy.

Am i mising something here or do i have a faulty audio system:mad:?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Kevin,

I don't have the CD player so I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I doubt the audio system is faulty.

You say there are options for bass, treble, balance, and fader, right? Use those. My guess for the "Flat" thing is one of the following 2:
-You can keep pressing tone to cycle through various presets;
-or, When you click the button under flat, it resets the settings to dead even on all 4.

Those are just assumptions. Good luck. Don't be afraid to push buttons. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Kevin,

I don't have the CD player so I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I doubt the audio system is faulty.

You say there are options for bass, treble, balance, and fader, right? Use those. My guess for the "Flat" thing is one of the following 2:
-You can keep pressing tone to cycle through various presets;
-or, When you click the button under flat, it resets the settings to dead even on all 4.

Those are just assumptions. Good luck. Don't be afraid to push buttons. :)
This is correct!... the "Flat" button just resets the bass and treble back to defaults... which really doesnt make much of a difference when they're up all the way.. so.. Push buttons till its tolerable. The stock E39 sound system even with DSP is atrocious. Probably the only thing that annoys me about this beutiful beast.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
While we're on the subject, the radio on our E39s are awful. After driving my daily driver (92 525i w/ an aftermarket Pioneer headunit, stock speakers) and jumping in the wife's 98 540i(non-DSP), I was surprised that the audio sounded FLAT. I tried fixing it by playing around w/ the BASS and TREBLE settings, as well as the FADER (setting it to slightly have more sound coming from the rear).

The damn thing still sounds horrible! Yeah I know.. her car used to be my weekend warrior and I never complained, but come on, how can stock speakers out of a 92 be better? I haven't really played around w/ the audio on my 01 540i, since I'm a new manual gearbox driver and I'm still concentrating on the engine speed while I'm driving, but I'm pretty sure it will be just as horrible.
The headunit and amp are fine. The problem is in the speakers. Replace your front door speakers with new components (I used Infinity 5010cs) and add a subwoofer (I put in a Blaupunkt THB-200A powered subwoofer in my rear armrest hole). Less than $300 total and you will be amazed at the difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The headunit and amp are fine. The problem is in the speakers. Replace your front door speakers with new components (I used Infinity 5010cs) and add a subwoofer (I put in a Blaupunkt THB-200A powered subwoofer in my rear armrest hole). Less than $300 total and you will be amazed at the difference.
hey fud how did you go about hooking up the sub?? amplifier?? robbed the signal from the rear?? I need some sound!

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
hey fud how did you go about hooking up the sub?? amplifier?? robbed the signal from the rear?? I need some sound!
Yes, just tap into the wires. You need to find the wires coming from the radio, *before* they are amplified. The BMW DSP amp is low passed at only 40Hz, so if you tap into the wires going to the DSP subs you won't get much sound. Get it while the wires still have the full range of frequencies, send it to a new amp for your sub, and cross that at around 95Hz or so.

That helps add another dimension that was previously lacking, but it still doesn't make the terrible speakers sound better. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts