BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! first-time bimmerfest user here, but long-time owner (and lover) of a 1988 325 ic...

i've had loud, nasty, churning radio interference lately, am & fm, all stations. i had my power antenna replaced (it needed to be replaced regardless), but to no avail.

the unusual thing is that when i take the car to my mechanic, the radio is perfectly fine. but when i drive the car back to my place, i reach a certain point geographically and the whole thing goes haywire.

(i live just west of downtown chicago. my mechanic is about 7 miles nw of me. problems seem to start within about 2 miles or so of my home.)

something tells me it's not the radio itself, but what do i know? (i'm also the one who's always told "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.")

any ideas or suggestion please? thank you expert bimmer peeps!

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
for starters what was your mechanic doing to the car? was he putting in the new antenna? have you checked to make sure the antenna is hooked up good to the radio? What type of antenna did you have put in? was it a generic one or OEM one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, all the antenna connections are good, but it isn't an oem. the radio problem has been around for a couple of months. it happened out of the blue. no connection to any mechanical repairs. but to answer your question, he did some bodywork, replaced the antenna, checked all the connections, retro-fitted and charged the ac and replaced the driver side lock/cylinder.

about the interference: it doesn't vary with the speed of the engine. it's not a hiss or a whine. it's more like sharp static mixed with half-beats of music or someone talking. the only visible change is that the stereo indicator on the radio disappears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mrdell for the ground connection idea. my bmw will be back at the garage tomorrow to finish the lock repairs, so i'll ask them to check it. i think the speaker wiring is original factory. the car has had 3 owners including me. i'm pretty sure nothing was messed with before i bought it. until now, i've been working on keeping it mechanically sound. maybe it's high time for some extra upgrades/improvements!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
only think i can think is that he didnt wire the antenna up right or ground it. Also you might just want to upgrade radio adn speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks bimrpwr. i'll ask them to double-check everything tomorrow. since i haven't done any of this upgrading stuff, what would you suggest for the speakers?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
when i had the e30 i just put in some 5 /14 pyramid and in the e36 i have rockford fosgate speakers

·
Registered
106 Posts
HELL NO HELL NO!!! please no pryamid ,gross

just spend a good 200 bucks and get a good amp on em and you'll be rockin

get some CDTs,A/D/S/,Diamond,something that will sound great,i hate when people have nice cars with terrible audio

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
actually those speakers i had in the e30 sounded great. they have several lines and i bought the ones that we towards the top. Every one has their own taste.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i just dont like the lower lines of any brand, but ive been into audio since i was 10 or so

I know everyone has thier specialties,you may be the man to talk to about exhast/light, or whatever you good at =)

i just hate poor sounding audio.

400 watts rms to my CDTS right now,it hurts really good =0)

·
Registered
106 Posts
id get a solid amp,i think crutchfield.com has the mtx 282 on sale for 100 bucks,not bad.

id look into components also,the full range speakers dont do it for me, take a listin at your local audio shop/ best buy/circuit city

I cant tell you which sound the best ,thats all up to you and how much bass/mid/treble you like ,you really just have to go listen

or go to CDTaudio.com and look at atleast the HD line =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts