BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that the radio is mediocre in reception at best. I plan on bringing the TSB to my local dealer to get the stereo/mono fade issue resolved. I have a NAV system with the HK sound. I also can't disable the darn RDS function - strange.

Has anyone come up with a good, unobtrusive way to get better FM and AM reception? I believe the antennas are in the C-pillars - that must account for the abysmal performance.

Also it appears that my AM is not compatable with USA stations. I get odd frequencies. On one AM band they come up in 9 kHz steps - which I think is European. Also, some of the bands are way off the USA spectrum - coming up with frequencies like 252 kHz and such. Is there a way to switch that to the USA standard frequency range or does the dealer have to take care of that one?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have this issue...AFTER the TSB fix! My advisor told me it is because of the new software they installed with the new radio unitl to fix the stereo/mono issue. Now my tuner never tunes in stereo (as displayed by the ST on the navi screen) and it sounds terrible.

I plan on bringing this issue up again at my next oil change. With the RDS always on, it takes between 3-5 seconds to tune a new station...drives me MAD!!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
You can switch it back to USA frequency mode yourself.

1. Turn ignition key to pos 2 without actually starting the engine.
2. Press the knob right of the screen to get past the "Accept" legal screen
2.5 - You have to be on the radio/frequency screen, not the map
3. Press and hold the "Sel" rectangular button (right of the screen) for approx 15 sec. The screen goes into service mode.
4. Use the < and > buttons (right of the screen) to scroll between functions.

You need to change AREA to USA.

You can also change the speed sensitive volume control in there if you wish (this is called "GAL" - 1 is the least volume change, 6 is the most).

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Also - my solution to poor sounding FM was to get the Icelink and Sirius. It's pretty rare that I listen to terrestrial radio :).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Kris...I also need to set my area to USA and followed your instructions, but I cannot seem to figure out how to change it once I get it displayed? I pushed every button on the unit, but and only scroll through the selections using the < > buttons.

Any suggestions?

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Hi Kris...I also need to set my area to USA and followed your instructions, but I cannot seem to figure out how to change it once I get it displayed? I pushed every button on the unit, but and only scroll through the selections using the < > buttons.

Any suggestions?
Sorry - use preset buttons 1 thorugh 6 I believe...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.
I'll have to give the area change a try.
As far as the stereo fade-in and out... now I'm not so confident that getting it fixed will make a diffrence. Oh well.
Hopefully this can get resolved and I can get that RDS off!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much Kris for the info.
I made the change and the radio works like gangbusters.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
For those w/ Stereo to Mono fade

For the stereo fade in and out, I had the radio replaced because of this service bulletin, this problem is known for our year models and some 2003's and 05's:

Service Measure B65-209-04 - updated on 4/30/04

Subject: E39, E46, E53 with BM53 Radio Navigation system, and DSP or Harman/Kardon Amplifier: Radio is switching from Stereo to Mono

Complaint: In FM mode only the radio sound is switching from Stereo to Mono, fading in and out.

Cause: Software error in the BM53 Radio.

Measure: On a customer complaint basis only, replace the BM53 radio. Install a BM53 radio with the new software, P/N: 65-12-4-135-562

Best of luck w/ all your radio woes, this fixed any problems I had, since they gave me a new radio w/ software under warranty. No problems w/ reception or stereo fade anymore.

·
Registered
30 Posts
KrisL,

Maybe you can help me. I tried use your instructions to go into the setup mode but made a mess of things. I must have done something wrong and now I lost all my presets and my radio only goes from 80-90 on the scale. I also can no longer get back to the setup screen. I have a Mark III system. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
KrisL,

Maybe you can help me. I tried use your instructions to go into the setup mode but made a mess of things. I must have done something wrong and now I lost all my presets and my radio only goes from 80-90 on the scale. I also can no longer get back to the setup screen. I have a Mark III system. Any help you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks
The instructions were for the MKIV, that the original poster has (2004 car).

I don't know how to get back in if the same instructions don't help...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts