BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that after you shut your engine, the windows still work (open/close) until a door is opened. Is there a setting such that the radio would stay on by default after the engine is shut, until I open the door? I saw on E46 fanatics that this is true - but i'm still not sure as my car doesn't do this.

Also my car is set to auto lock the doors at 5mph. Is there a setting to auto-unlock the doors when the car is parked?

·
:-)
2,262 Posts
i think what you saw on fanatics is the ability to turn on the radio with the car off, not to have it stay on when you remove the key.

as to the auto-unlock, i've never heard of such a feature...

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
6,344 Posts
Yes it is possible to keep the radio playing when you shut down the motor. Your may have not noticed but there is ACC position for the key. When shutting down the motor, slowly turn the key until the motor shuts off. Your radio will remain on and if you had your headlights on they will shut down but parking and dashboard lights will remain on. :D

You can also do that in reverse by turning the key slowly before engaging the starter and have all the idiot lights go through their check mode.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Also my car is set to auto lock the doors at 5mph. Is there a setting to auto-unlock the doors when the car is parked?
Just press the lock/unlock button in the center console.:dunno:

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LDV330i said:
Just press the lock/unlock button in the center console.:dunno:
LDV, I ask because I've seen this feature on many low-end American cars - ie Pontiacs. It would be convenient. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out of the car, using the double-tap to open feature. then I go to the passenger door to grab a bag or something, and DOH the door's locked. Now I gotta go fishing in my pocket for the key again. Thanks to the double tapping the door handle, I can get out of the car while it's still "locked". Weird.

·
909 Posts
LDV330i said:
Yes it is possible to keep the radio playing when you shut down the motor. Your may have not noticed but there is ACC position for the key. When shutting down the motor, slowly turn the key until the motor shuts off. Your radio will remain on and if you had your headlights on they will shut down but parking and dashboard lights will remain on. :D
Just want to add that you can actually turn on the radio without the key inserted. Just press the volume button and the radio can be turned on without the key. It will also automatically time out and turn itself off after about 15 to 20 mins.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
mkh said:
Just want to add that you can actually turn on the radio without the key inserted. Just press the volume button and the radio can be turned on without the key. It will also automatically time out and turn itself off after about 15 to 20 mins.
This is a very cool feature. Unfortunately it doesn't work for those of us with nav.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
...I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out of the car, using the double-tap to open feature. then I go to the passenger door to grab a bag or something, and DOH the door's locked. Now I gotta go fishing in my pocket for the key again....
Is it possible to have the car reprogrammed so that unlocking one door unlocks all the others? That is how it works on your car's predecessor which makes me suspect there's a way to accomodate customers who bought the next model.

·
Registered
201 Posts
mkh said:
It's indeed a cool feature. I knew you could turn the radio on w/o the key but I didn't know it would automatically turn itself off after 15-20 minutes. How about the cig. lighter? I have the radar detector plugged in and it stays on even I take the key off. I have to manually turn the radar detector off everytime I shut the engine off. Will it shut itself off after a while? Hmmm...I need to test it out one of these days.

·
Registered
860 Posts
JB330Ci said:
It's indeed a cool feature. I knew you could turn the radio on w/o the key but I didn't know it would automatically turn itself off after 15-20 minutes. How about the cig. lighter? I have the radar detector plugged in and it stays on even I take the key off. I have to manually turn the radar detector off everytime I shut the engine off. Will it shut itself off after a while? Hmmm...I need to test it out one of these days.
No. cigarette lighter is always on.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
LDV, I ask because I've seen this feature on many low-end American cars - ie Pontiacs. It would be convenient. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten out of the car, using the double-tap to open feature. then I go to the passenger door to grab a bag or something, and DOH the door's locked. Now I gotta go fishing in my pocket for the key again. Thanks to the double tapping the door handle, I can get out of the car while it's still "locked". Weird.
I know where you are coming from. Just giving you a hard time. :D

My friends still get confused as to why there is no unlock button by their doors. They feel that the double pull on the interior handle is weird. I also forget to double click the key to unlock all doors and my friends get on my case because they cannot get into the car.

Another peeve of mine is that the trunk will not unlock unless all doors are unlocked. Like you I then have to go searching for the key in my pocket.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
johnf said:
Is it possible to have the car reprogrammed so that unlocking one door unlocks all the others? That is how it works on your car's predecessor which makes me suspect there's a way to accomodate customers who bought the next model.
Yes that is a programming option on E46's.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,798 Posts
LDV330i said:
Yes that is a programming option on E46's.
But that's only for the remote, right? I think he (and I would ask too) if this is possible when just opening the driver door from inside by pulling 2x on the handle. I think the answer is "no".

My C240 unlocked all doors with a single pull of the inside door handle and that's how it should work, IMO. The double-pulling is totally confusing to passengers -- they pull once and wait for you to unlock with the button.

icemanjs4 said:
This has happened to me many times. I've now gotten used to just pressing the unlock switch on the console when I shut down. As for US cars unlocking, it's easy to tie it to the [mandatory] automatic trans shift lever when moving to "Park". For cars with the possibility of manual trans, they usually come up with a different method. My Passat would unlock all doors when you removed the key IIRC.

Hey, my wife's 2003 TL doesn't even have automatic locking -- you have to press the darn button every time to lock AND unlock. Half the time I forget to lock when pulling away.

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
JB330Ci said:
I think it might be worth a test... I have a feeling it might be part of the auto -shut off feature. The interior/trunk lights also auto shut-off after being left unattended for more than 15-20 minutes. After hearing about the radio feature, isn't it possible maybe perhaps all the electronics might be programmed to shut down after an extended period as a battery safety feature?

I remember the first time I noticed the trunk lights shutting down automatically, I was in the garage late, doing some last minute detailing on the car (it was the night before last year's Bimmefest :) ) and I had forgotten to close the trunk. When I went into the garage in the morning, I noticed the trunk open but the lights weren't on; I thought what a great idea that auto shut off is!

--J.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
JB330Ci said:
How about the cig. lighter? I have the radar detector plugged in and it stays on even I take the key off. I have to manually turn the radar detector off everytime I shut the engine off. Will it shut itself off after a while? Hmmm...I need to test it out one of these days.
You can use the flashlight socket for that. It turns off when you lock the car via the remote, or after some timeout (15 minutes???).

·
Padawan
1,430 Posts
markl53 said:
The double-pulling is totally confusing to passengers -- they pull once and wait for you to unlock with the button.
I always like screwing with my passengers the first time when they can't get out... they always pull the handle and nothing happens, so they turn and say "how do I get out?" Then I just say "Pull the handle!" and they do and it works. :D

--J.

·
just copacetic!!!
2019 230i MSptPkg
1,644 Posts
I believe that it's a safety feature by BMW so that one cannot accidentally open the door, ala computers asking twice if you really want to delete something :dunno: Also, I was told by the CA that having to press the remote twice to open all the doors is a safety feature so that someone can't slip into the passenger's side uninvited.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
mkh said:
I don't think this works on pre-02 cars.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
All of the locking stuff is designed to err on security, to keep people out, not so much to keep people in.

You can program your key to unlock all doors on a single button push, but by default, it's two so you can unlock the driver's side without exposing the other doors. The power lock button is located in the center of the car so it's hard to reach in and hit it. The lock buttons recess in the doors so you can't unlock it without reaching in and finding the handle (and then knowing to pull twice). BMW doesn't offer the auto-unlock when you park the car probably because it's a security risk.

Personally, I think the double-clutch unlock/open handle is ingenious. Why would I want to reach to a different part of the door to unlock and then pull the handle? In cars that auto-unlock, I occasionally pull the handle right when the driver goes to park and then I still have to unlock it. :rolleyes: Even if you biff this in a BMW, you can still just pull again.

The interior/trunk lights, power accessories, and head unit turn off after 15 minutes when the ignition is in position 0.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts