BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 M3. The factory-installed radio light died about a year ago, but the reception was still good. Over time, the reception became flaky: Good reception for a while, then reception mixed with static for a while, then several minutes of total silence. I bought an aftermarket 1997 M3 radio and installed it. The radio lights works and I can control the speakers, but I get only static (and barely one or two FM stations.) Any ideas?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check the antenna circuit - including connections to the antenna amplifier mounted in the rear (C) pillar. Static=poor signal, intermittent fault usually means bad connections or faulty antenna or antenna amplifier.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Aerial signal amplifier is a common failure on these cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the antenna circuit - including connections to the antenna amplifier mounted in the rear (C) pillar. Static=poor signal, intermittent fault usually means bad connections or faulty antenna or antenna amplifier.
Well, I couldn't find anything wrong with the antenna connection to the radio. I also have 12V output on pin 16 of the radio. I also checked both c-pillar amps and didn't find any loose connections or damaged wires. There must be something wrong somewhere, but I can't figure out how (or where) to troubleshoot this! Any ideas would be appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts