BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a fairly new E88 with about 4K miles on it. Within the past 2 weeks I've experienced this radio problem twice.

When I start the car there's no sound from the radio. The radio display also is completely blank, no time or date. Pressing the radio's power button brings up time and date on the display and nothing else. Pressing any others buttons on the radio has no effect and the display stays at time and date. The Menu and Audio buttons do nothing so I also can't access the computer settings. The radio control buttons on the steering also have no effect.

There's also no warning ding-dong sounds such as when seat belt isn't buckled or door is opened with key in ignition.

All other displays on the dash seem to be working fine.

Turning the car off, getting out, back in and restarting, as suggested in the other thread (see below), doesn't fix my problem.

I did notice something which could be just a coincidence, but maybe not. Both times this problem has happened it's been raining and my car was parked outside in the rain immediately prior to the problem occurring. Maybe water is getting in somewhere or maybe it's just a coincidence that it was raining both times.

The first time this happened I started the car the next day, after parking in the garage for the night, and everything was back to normal. I'll see if the same thing happens this time.

My specs: 128i Convertible, Premium Hi-fi Option, iPod Adapter Option, No iDrive, No Satellite Radio, No Nav, also has Premium and Sport Packages.

I first reported this in another person's thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370387. In that thread a similar problem is described on the 3s and the general consensus seems to be that it's a software problem with the Logic 7 radio which doesn't yet have a fix.

Do I have a Logic 7 radio? I don't know what a Logic 7 radio is. I don't remember seeing that term anywhere before I read it in the thread mentioned above. So I don't think I have it.

I haven't yet taken the car to the dealer to have this checked.

Any ideas or anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

Did you check the fuse? Connection might be loose in the back of the radio or at the amp in the back left. If those things are ok maybe it is a faulty unit. I will do some research and post what I find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Did you check the fuse? Connection might be loose in the back of the radio or at the amp in the back left. If those things are ok maybe it is a faulty unit. I will do some research and post what I find.
No, I haven't checked the fuse. I don't even know how to get back there. I'll let the dealer handle it.

So a few hours after I posted the previous message I started up the car and the radio is working fine again. And it was still raining. So maybe it has nothing to do with the rain.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I also have a e88 but with much less options, just Sports pack and walnut trim. So different radio. Mine does not do this (at least yet). With respect to Logic 7, I believe that is different from what you have but at least part of that difference is speakers which do not seem to be involved in your issue. The Logic 7 has a center front speaker that no 1 has. With respect to the radio, I don't know how different they are. There are some related threads on the "1Addict" website.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just an update. The problem happened again today. Now that's 3 times within 2 weeks. This time I was able to access the Menu so I could get to the Config menu, Phone menu, etc. but not Audio. There was no rain today so I think we can rule that out as a cause. I tried getting out, locking, unlocking and restarting the car and still no radio.

A couple of other observations:
The problem never starts while I'm driving; it only happens when I start the car.
The problem never corrects itself while I'm driving.

Now it's getting annoying. Looks like I'll have to visit the dealer and hope there's a fix.

I checked over at the 1addicts forum and many others have reported the same problem. Looks like there may be a s/w fix for this now.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
It is a soft ware issue. The whole audio (radio, warning sounds) just goes to sleep. It happened to me once in Germany and it came back on, then it happened at the PDC when I picked up my car. They kept my car for 2 hours ( and lent me a new 650 to pick my daughter up at school :thumbup:) ran the up date and it works fine. Good Luck. N4S

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks N4S. It's good to know there's a fix. I guess I have to visit the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Michelle, I haven't taken the car in yet. Just trying to find the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts