BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading a post about radio codes. I learned the we could either have an Alpine or a Blaupunkt. How do I know which one I have (I think that it's a Blaupunkt)?? It says BMW Business radio :dunno:
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
113 Posts
That was my post, and to tell the truth, I was suprised too! I don't know how we could tell from the outside as both brands seem to appear the same. If you remove your radio, there may be a manufacturer's code, or sticker. I really don't know for sure as I've never removed my radio.

The only advice I can offer is to get BOTH codes before you disconnect your battery. I sure wish I had.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks, :rolleyes:
Fortunately, I have the code. I was just wondering in case I lost it or if someone asked me I wouldn't feel dumb not knowing what brand radio that I have!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Strange that I logged on today because my mechanic disconnected my battery to replace a squeaky part in the steering wheel. Now it says CODE.

I never got the book for the Harmon Kardin system when I bought the car.

I dropped the dealer an e mail. They should have the codes, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, They should!!! You will have to give them the serial number of the radio so that they can look it up in their computer system! Did you check the owners manual??

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was helpful, thanks.

I notice that Alpine and Blaupunkt were mentioned but I have a Harmon Kardin Business Radio.

The dealer said to bring it in and they will pull the radio and find the code. One time he said.

How nice of them since they didn't give me the book when I bought the car.

BTW, where in So. Cal are you? I have Valencia BMW as a dealer and live in Canyon Country.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live in Northridge, so we're just about neighbors. There is a way to get the SN without removing the radio. I'll look thru my paperwork and see if I can come up with the method. The first dealership that I went to was Bob Smith in Calabasas because I drive past it every day to get to work. It's a real shame that I'll never go back, they're sooo convenient.

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
SoCalZ3 said:
I live in Northridge, so we're just about neighbors. There is a way to get the SN without removing the radio. I'll look thru my paperwork and see if I can come up with the method. The first dealership that I went to was Bob Smith in Calabasas because I drive past it every day to get to work. It's a real shame that I'll never go back, they're sooo convenient.
That method is by holding the 'M' button for a period of time but it never worked for me.

·
///M Practical
859 Posts
SoCalZ3 said:
This procedure allowed me to retrieve the serial numbers on both a 97 Z3 and an 00 MZ3. Took the serial numbers to the dealer both times and got the radio codes, which worked on both cars.

http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/bimmerdump/70347.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: I know of what you speak. I'm a Network Administrator, and you'd be suprised how many people write their passwords on post-its, and put them under their keyboard, or in their top desk drawer. :tsk:

·
Crazy Canadian
1,095 Posts
SoCalZ3 said:
:rofl: :rofl: I know of what you speak. I'm a Network Administrator, and you'd be suprised how many people write their passwords on post-its, and put them under their keyboard, or in their top desk drawer. :tsk:
Where I work a bunch of the ladies in one of the offices shared their passwords with everyone and made a big Word document with all of them, emailed it around, printed it off, hid it in desk drawyers.

Needless to say once I found out about that one I made a rather loud "WTF?" and put a stop to that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts