BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few more questions about the convertibles. How is the rain noise (drops) on the soft top? Can you you even hear the rain or is it minimal? Im thinking about getting a white with black top or black on black. Miami is the place to be with the vert. Also I never owned a vert but I have a garage. What about the failure with the vert motor if any?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I'm on my third vert. The rain noise is noticable, but tolerable. (It definitely is NOT like a hardtop car, but with some music playing, etc, it's fine). In a torrential downpour in Miami (where I am) it is downright loud. But that doesn't stop the vert owner...

I've never had issues with the vert motors, just the sensors (where the ver thinks the top is not ready to be locked when it is, etc). Easily fixable (and under warranty).

HTH

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is my first soft top vert and I dont really notice the noise from the rain. Maybe its because my radio is always on?

·
Oorah!
966 Posts
^^ dont have a vert but same here

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I've driven mine through a few rain storms and wasn't distracted by the sound of the rain. By the way, the convertible top on this car is an amazing piece of equipment. It's triple layered, insulated, and feels almost like wool to the touch. In certain respects, the car seems even quieter inside and the acoustics (with respect to the stereo) are also quite good. As for those who expressed being hesitant to drive in the rain I say, what?????? We're talking about a car, not a suede jacket. Or, as my Dad would say if he were still here, this car has a set; treat it as such!:bang:

·
Makin Lotsa Noise
573 Posts
I work the vert top every single day, to and from work and to downtown sometimes. So that means an average of 8 openings/closings per day. No problems so far, fingers crossed. Rain noises are rather pronounced on the vert, which is obvious. But it is tolerable for me. I do not have the music turned up loud, just so I get to enjoy the full symphony from the exhaust system. Therefore my review may be biased.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think there is slightly more road noise in the vert compared to the coupe, and probably slightly more rain noise too. But neither of those reasons would be the ones on which I would decide which to get. If you want a convertible to put the top down and enjoy the sunshine, even on cold days, then that should help make your decision. If you are concerned about the possibility of slightly more cowl shake - which will happen eventually- or you don't like the look of the convertible, or you're worried you won't be able race or autocross in a BMW event because they don't allow verts, then get the coupe.

As for me, I live in San Diego where I can leave the top down 330+ days of the year, so it's an easy choice. As for rain, we don't really have any to speak of, but when it did rain recently, one of my kids said, "Oh Dad, I love the sound the rain makes when it hits the car!" And I have grown to like the tail fins of the soft top, when it's up long enough for me to wash it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
. A Convertible is hard to beat when the top is down but my concerns are for the 75% of the time when it to cold for the top down (Oklahoma Weather) i had a 911 cabriolet as a daily driver and the road noise wore me out, almost impossible to talk on the phone so i just don't want to make the same mistake twice. Do you guys think the vert is noisier?

·
Registered
131 Posts
. A Convertible is hard to beat when the top is down but my concerns are for the 75% of the time when it to cold for the top down (Oklahoma Weather) i had a 911 cabriolet as a daily driver and the road noise wore me out, almost impossible to talk on the phone so i just don't want to make the same mistake twice. Do you guys think the vert is noisier?
I'm able to talk on the phone with the top DOWN (windows up, though), with no problem. With the top up, there will be no issue with talking on the phone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, am still looking into the pros and cons of the vert. I live in Miami now so rain isn't too much of a issue. The vert does look hot but maintenance and road noise may be a problem. I need to drive a vert in the rain and listen to the drops myself.:)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Get the convert! when I was looking, I had to get the convert. I live in NY and the roads sucks but to tell you the truth, you don't really notice the road noise too much, plus tires makes a difference. As for the rain? not an issue. the roof is quite insulated and to me it really dampens sounds really well. i use the bluetooth alot and no one complains about noise. I think there might be a noise canceling feature when talking through the system.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Having a difficult time deciding between hardtop and convertible&#8230;. is the road noise significantly louder in the vert?
With all due respect, I believe you are overthinking this.

If you want the 'vert, get the 'vert and don't worry about the rain. If you are looking for reasons not to get the 'vert, maybe because the rain is loud, the don't get the effin vert.

Get what you want, then deal with the quirks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kamdog- Maybe you're right on the over thinking however i just don't want to make another mistake. If the road noise is not bad I'm all in on the vert, otherwise i will have to make a tough choice. I was just hoping to utilize others experience.

So, convertible owners.. is the road noise EVER even a little bit of an issue??/

thanks

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Kamdog- Maybe you're right on the over thinking however i just don't want to make another mistake. If the road noise is not bad I'm all in on the vert, otherwise i will have to make a tough choice. I was just hoping to utilize others experience.

So, convertible owners.. is the road noise EVER even a little bit of an issue??/

thanks
But this is a complete judgement case. I personally am not that big a fan of listening to music in my car, so the regular system is OK. Others really can tell the difference and care about it, so the Logic 7 is the way to go.

I am just saying you have to experience it yourself; no one else can really guide you. If your heart is in the vert, you probably won't mind a bit of extra noise. If quiet is much more important, you will be kicking yourself at each noise.

To each his own taste.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts