BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally thought it was just delay operation. Now only activates by turning knob. one sweep only. is reset required?

·
Registered
738 Posts
You have to " initiate" it to start by moving the wiper stalk." Once initiated it will make a sweep (double on my car). It will then "wait" for enough precipitation to fall on windscreen to initiate another sweep...

Have someone provide "rain" with a hose set on shower.., then initiate and see what happens....

·
Registered
188 Posts
From what I've read here the reason you have to activate first is to prevent breaking the wipers if frozen on windshield and it starts auto when key is turned.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Try the method noted above. If fails, look at the windshield - the sensor is built into it. Have you had the windshield replaced? I had this problem after windshield replacement and they replaced at no charge and all fine now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have original windshield in car, water sensitivity stopped working during rain storm. One swipe only at each setting then nothing while raining have to turn on wipers at slow speed.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Definitely sounds like the sensor to me. On the outside in the middle right at the rear view mirror is the sensor. If you see a lot of air bubbles or glue, the sensor likely came away. Only fix is windshield replacement.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Google Z4 wiper motor issue.... given that you say that the wipers now only work at slow setting... seems to be more going on than your rain sensor...

There are DIY's on fixing the wiper motor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm curious about this issue as well. A few months ago I had my windshield replaced, the rain sensor function quit working and the glass shop replaced the rain sensor but to no avail. They said "the dealer would have to program it". Is this a true statement? Is this a DIY programming job?

·
Registered
448 Posts
While you can replace just the rain sensor, don't do it - the adhesive used can create air bubbles and other interference that prevents the rain sensor from sensing water drops. With a new windshield, the sensor always comes factory attached. You need to tell your glass company to replace the entire windshield with new sensor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting. Yesterday was the first time that I got caught in the rain with my new to me Z and the first time turning on the wipers. I have had several cars in the past that had rain sensors and they NEVER worked properly. I always wished I had delayed wipers rather than sensors. Well, the sensor on the Z actually worked exactly the way it is supposed to, and I am just about positive the windshield on my car was replaced (it says Pilkington on it and it has absolutely no pitting, so I'm guessing it is fairly new.) I am happy with the functionality of the sensor.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had mine replaced too with a Pilkington. The first replacement had a faulty sensor, however, windshield company promptly replaced and that one works perfectly. The point is, must replace entire windshield and not just sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts