BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
I am a new member, came across this forum while looking for reasons that my car is getting wet. Under the drivers floor matt is soaked, second day of rain here and just so wet. This happened about a month ago and it just dried out, now it back.

I see from many postings that others seem to have thsi water probelm, does BMW just ignore it, my dealer had nothing to say. The car is a 2001 330CI that I purchsed used with no warrentee only six months ago.

I see posts about on replacment vapor seal, sunroof, door trim, cowl seal trim, etc... but many did not totally fix the problem. I am frustrated!

Has anyone has gone thru this and found a real solution???

Larry in NH:

·
MediK9
64 Posts
leak

You have the same problem I have. I have water seeping in ( from underneath) the front mats. My mechanic has checked everything and can find nothing..all drains are good, etc. But still my carpets get wet. I have run out of ideas now. VERY Frustrating.:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
You, me, and the fence post. I was told by a reliable source that at one point in time on early production E46's the robots where so to say 'missing' their mark when the cars where being built. Not all cars but, on the driver side, at the point where the firewall and other sheetmetal points meet ( hood hinge area- kinda down low) the weld or Seam Sealer was missing or incomplete. I too have the same problem. 10/2000 car. Upon checking my car I found it hard to see anything obvious in that area.:dunno: Seems to leak in when driving in very hard rain but very rarely when just washing the car. I have concern because when it does leak it comes in and drips onto the back side of the dash under panel and collect near the diagnostic plug. With that panel removed and looking up behind the dash ( behind headlight switch) I do see water marks and slight rust marks on the uncoated pieces. It seems to also sneak in behind the kick panel on that side and yes gets the carpet etc. wet. Please don't hold me to this or get carried away with the info I've shared here!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also but I have not done it yet, I am very tempted to take the left front tire off and remove the inner plastic wheel well to have a look.

·
Registered
243 Posts
stop driving in the rain...... just kidding. I've had that problem on other cars before. Not a european car, but a few domestic cars. Was always coming from the front wheel well's. I think Two3zz may have hit the mark there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rain water soaking the floor of my 2000 528i

Jerry,
I understand how you feel...I can't figure out if the vapor barriers really are the cause or not, since they were fixed twice in my car to no apparent avail.

I'm in the process of pressing this beyond BMW customer relations which claims they have no access to any information about this kind of problem...it looks like we should be in a class action suit to me.

It's not clear if failing or poorly repaired vapor barriers is really the cause (as Jerry1 seems to have resolved better than the dealers do.) or just a defect that has the drains in the wrong place or vulnerable to plugging without any information going to or from dealer repair shops about how to clear them.

It would be nice to have a definitive word from BMW. I'm passing the letter below up the chain beyond Customer Relations. I find them useless for this and other problems and questions. Please join me with your own letter (hopefully much shorter).

May 27, 2008

Customer Relations Manager
BMW Customer Service
PO Box 1227
Westwood, NJ 07675

Re. They've apparently been fixing the wrong cause of my rainwater leak all along.
Certified pre-owned 2000 528i WBADM634XYGV01713 purchased JMK $26,000 9/03 51,000 miles.*

Dear Sir or Madam:

This is a follow up to my last letter of May 23rd. It is a request for BMW Corporate (not a dealer) to resolve this chronic problem and as yet, not convincingly diagnosed rainwater leak problem.

First note that this car was clearly miscertified: It had to be returned to JMK, Springfield, NJ several times for 17 items immediately after delivery including stalling while in motion and NJ State Inspection failure.

The response to my letter was to reiterate that BMW could not help me with the rain leak repair, nor did they have access to any technical information to finally resolve this and that there was no one in customer relations who could find someone in another department who could.

They gave the reasons as, " the car is too far out of warranty and previous courtesies were given".

This ignores the facts:
1 The "courtesies" were given was after I fought for justice for my mis-"certified preowned BMW" (see below) while it was under warranty and other repairs that were not done properly the first time.
2 Since repairs are guaranteed for two years and both the repair 2 years ago and the one 2 weeks ago did not resolve the problem, why isn't BMW standing behind these repairs?
3 Regardless, a luxury car is not expected to have rain leaking from an exterior shield into drain chambers and then to further pass through the interior structure and then into the passenger compartment of the vehicle. (There is no water leaking directly into the vehicle from the sunroof cassette, however, BMW Morristown proposes to replace for $1950 into the interior roof of the car. Since they also said the drains that run to the sides of the car are clear, why is the water leaking from the drains into the floor? They are re-checking as I write this. )
4 Rainwater is apparently building up in the bottom of the car over time as evidenced by:
o water streams out of the bottom of the frame externally when the car is parked on a 30 or so degree upslope, along with bubbling up and out of the plastic Velcro style plug that secures the right rear passenger mat.
o water found in the rear wheel wells, under the space compartment (not in it) and rather than draining properly is backing up into the interior floor.

According to your websites and my understanding when I bought the car:
-"Only the best pre-owned BMWs qualify for the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program. To be eligible for enrollment in the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a late-model vehicle must be in service for at least six months or have more than 6,000 miles but less than 60,000 miles on the odometer. They must pass an extensive examination - a thorough and rigorous inspection by BMW factory-trained technicians. They inspect the vehicle for safety, performance and wear. If something is not right, it is fixed. If it cannot be fixed, the car cannot become a Certified Pre-Owned BMW.
-The BMW Premium Selection program is reserved for used BMW automobiles that fulfill defined premium standards. Furthermore, all of the vehicles have to pass our standard vehicle check. We are committed to the high quality of all our BMW Premium Selection automobiles so that we provide you with extensive benefits - spanning as far as vehicle exchange.

Since Customer Relations folks at 800 831 1117 prompt 0 cannot satisfy my request to find out if this is a known defect with the car, something as simple as plugged drains holes, rust or what, I cannot be certain that this awfully time-consuming (clean up the mess before it molds, make an appointment, try to get the warranty I'm entitled to, phone calls, letter) inconvenient and expensive replacements of rubber seals, some of which cannot be simply replaced (entire sunroof cassette!), removal of seats for drying, etc., process will ever end.

My previous letters attached to my file and notes describe why I have been telling customer service since I bought the car that it was not properly certified. Though I love the comfort, safety and handling of the car, I can only try the following if I do not have resolution soon:

Send this letter
1. up as high as the Director of Operations of BMW NA,
2. to internet blogs to see if others are suffering the same catch-22,
3. to NJ Lemon Law attorneys to determine if coverage for certified preowned cars as well as new cars. It is my understanding that if a repair cannot be made to bring A car up to Lemon Law standards, the legal fees are covered by the defendant and they must buy back the car minus a driving allowance.
Then begin to look for another brand replacement for the car.

I would think BMW would be very interesting in resolving this problem. We are talking about 3 inches of water in a $40,000 car!

The leak probably dates back prior to the purchase date of the car, though I can't prove it now. Maybe it was in a flood and is always carrying water. I recall the initial observation was a few months after purchase some moisture in the back early on, but I assume I left the window cracked open. It seems to take many rains to build up the water internally. Had I known what I was in for, I would have sold the car long ago. Now I don't know what to do other than try to fight for what's right.

The car is currently being inspected for the third time at Morristown BMW in NJ.
***Please acknowledge receipt of this letter by phone as soon as possible so I can make informed decisions as to the disposition of the repair and the car.
(Please don't call Morristown before calling me...they have been bugged already by customer service for a courtesy when I asked Corporate for a courtesy. It's not Morristown's fault. They gave one courtesy and they didn't sell me the car. I can't stand to work with JMK who did sell it with all these problems. ***

***Unless special consideration can be given to my case ("courtesy" repairs with a written long-term warranty, a refund for my car based on the intention of the lemon law, a truly special discount for another preowned car that can be shown not to have this potential problem or at a minimum, someone (engineer?) can explain with diagrams how this water is getting into my car and how it can be permanently stopped and if BMW can provide no satisfactory resolution by June 6th, I'll take the action stated above on the morning of June 9th.

Sincerely,
Neal R. Monda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts