BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquired a 2004 545i straight body and interior. Clean car besides the dust. But...the fkn engine and other critical components have been Jankied with. Engines all fluppered. The fuse box in the glove box has been gotten to. I'm scared to even hook up a jump box to pop the trunk. Under the seat the fuel systems been gotten to. I only got the engine bay pic for now I'll post the rest when my brother sends them. If anyone has knowledge just from the pic what would it entail to get this up to par. I know it's a dumb question with just the one pic. Thanks

·
Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
5,858 Posts
Thing is...I own it now.
That might be easier to fix than the car. ;)

The completely-disconnected DME sitting there like a forgotten brick is a bad omen. Not to mention mangled wiring looms, obvious hack repairs to be undone, and a raft of missing pieces...you could spend days with parts diagrams figuring out what's not there that should be.

I would worry about electrical/software gremlins most of all. I'm guessing you love project cars or you would never have gone for this, but, man oh man....

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A raft of parts..lmao..I love project cars like I live having a hole in my head. Well...anyone need parts for a 545i

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to say that looking from a purely electrical standpoint it is almost certainly a non-starter in more ways than one. The mechanics are easy enough to go through (most engines go suck, squeeze, bang, blow) but it is the sensors and other paraphernalia that sit around the engine that cause the problems. The 545s are notoriously power hungry animals (not quite as bad as the 7s but not much between them), and you would have to start from the battery, power modules and charging systems before you attempt to look at the engine, and as was pointed out earlier, the main engine ECU and harness in its current location/state would have sent me running for cover. Very expensive project you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts