BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the valve cover gasket in my car today and when it came to removing the 10mm bolts from the plastic valve cover I ran into an issue. It seems that the nuts are not centered in the bolt hole (see pic) so I cannot for the life of me get my socket onto any of the nuts. The worst part is I got impatient with one of them and forced it on and ended up putting a little crack on the valve cover which I have now sealed with the RTV :cry:. Any suggestions?? I will now have to order a new valve cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
try the slim 10mm socket. Your tool kit should have a few different 10mm sockets. cracked valve cover.. Ouch. why did you do that....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hard to tell but I think you already have the cover nut, rubber seal and washer off, right? If that is the case you are done it should come off, you may have to pry with a flat scraper.

Look at this thread at the first pic. Is that what you are seeing when you look at the nut? If so, they stay attached to the head...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381548

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hard to tell but I think you already have the cover nut, rubber seal and washer off, right? If that is the case you are done it should come off, you may have to pry with a flat scraper.

Look at this thread at the first pic. Is that what you are seeing when you look at the nut? If so, they stay attached to the head...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1381548
Holy crap i think i might be trying to do more than i should. Yes I removed the cover nut revealing another 10mm bolt what WOULD require a 10mm Deep Socket. So you are saying once I have removed the 10mm cover nut with the metal and rubber washer on the outer edges of the cover it should be good to come of (oh and the 6 middle nuts as well)??? I feel like a total idiot if so :cry:

·
*^^^^^^^^*
1,719 Posts
Ohhh...Nando779, that's why I did not even understand what you were asking about...Yeah, those definitely stay. One piece of advice, do not over-torque the nuts you already removed when reassambling. I broke 2 bolts and I thought I was using the correct torque.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
For like this situation, pro-mechanics is always used Snap-On sockets, because their wall thinner and can fit in tight space, but it's not meaning the socket will brake easily, Snap-on is using most strong alloy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys I already had finished the job before I read your posts about taking pics. Everything went pretty smooth but I did have to replace a small vaccum tube near the left of the valve cover, it was very brittle and tore easily. Thanks everyone the help and support! If you any of you come to my neck of the woods, I'll buy the beer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts