BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure why I havent asked this earlier, but while driving on the Autobahn, every once and awhile there where these gantries supporting boxes of some sort instead of signs.
These boxes look like they could have been cameras, or some other sensor, and where over each lane. The gantries went over the entire road.

Are they sensors for speed management?
Are they sensors for truckers for some sort of toll system?
Or are they the dreaded cameras to catch speeders?
Some one please help me! :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Not sure why I havent asked this earlier, but while driving on the Autobahn, every once and awhile there where these gantries supporting boxes of some sort instead of signs.
These boxes look like they could have been cameras, or some other sensor, and where over each lane. The gantries went over the entire road.

The Autobahn is a sophisticated modern marvel. The speed limits changes, new lanes open-up/gets added according to traffic flow. And YES!! They monitor the autobahn traffic/ speed flow ALL THE TIME!!:)

·
Happily Driving
2018 X5
7,152 Posts
I remember being told that they are basically 'toll' sensors for certain types of truck traffic.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

All of the above. (If you want a great story of failed technology, look up the history of the satellite-based truck toll collection system in Germany.)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
(If you want a great story of failed technology, look up the history of the satellite-based truck toll collection system in Germany.)
That story rivals the story of the automated baggage handling system in Denver.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
Word for the day= GANTRIES

Wow

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
I couldn't think of a better term for em :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks guys!
I couldn't think of a better term for em :)
Good word, that. Proper one to describe the structures as well.

At the 'ring the Touristenfahrt laps is timed from bridge to gantry. The gantry is sporting an Audi hoarding at present.

·
ZHPper
2,126 Posts

All I know is that our taxi driver (From Munich airport into the city) definately slowed down every time we approached one...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pretty sure those are it, but without seeing the other side, cant say 100% :) Cant see the back side that close in the rearviews!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts