BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pre Delivery

As mentioned in the Wiki. Got a better price with some airlines (Continental in my case) than the Lufthansa price.

For those who have not been overseas in awhile (lived there for 10 years but before cell phones and ATM's) Remember to enable your cell for overseas and will not hurt to let your Credit card folks know your card will be used outside the US.

Best advice on the Wiki: READ THE PO. When I got mine to sign 30 days out about only thing that was correct was the make and model. Most all options and even color was wrong. CA said that it was correct in the computer (provided me a printout that did have the correct info) and he contacted NJ to see what was up. Gave me the option codes to write in and initial each one along with lining out the wrong stuff. Sure enough that PO with the lined out items and codes was what I got when checked in the the Welt. Wheeew.

Used my favorite system for beating the time change. "Overcoming Jet Lag" by Ehret and Scanlon. Used it in the military for long flights. It still works great. They have a new book out "The Cure for Jet Lag" but why not just spend a few dollars for a used copy of the old one on Amazon. Works great.

Delivery

Bimmerfest sign-in book is alive and well at the 3rd floor desk on 8 Oct 2010.

Rolf alive and well too. It was great to have a friendly face who knew the ropes to get us to the Hotel (and from Herms to the Hotel afterward) He even offered to drop us at the Welt at no extra charge afterward so we could look around prior to delivery a couple of days down the road.

On arrival exiting the Customs looking for Rolf first saw a fellow in a suit with a BMW sign. Later found out it was just BMW staffer welcoming incoming executives. Did not qualify. Thing to look for is a big BMW emblem on a luggage cart if Ralph is away getting a pretzel.

At the Welt on pickup day had planned to have dinner at the restaurant and use my credit there. Restaurant that night had been bought out by a event (very unusual) so was faced with loosing the credit. Found out that the food credit is also good at the coffee bar on the same floor as the restaurant. It is located at the head of the stairs in and next to a souvenir shop. Food in the BMW lounge is much better so did that for dinner but in the coffee bar saw that they had a food case with some chocolate bars and something in jars for purchase in with the prepared foods. Clerk said no problem using credit for that. So that was the start of my chocolate hoard. Special food in the lounge that night (just to make up for things?)

Was told on the factory tour that "white" is the latest color rage for folks. Making more white cars now.

Post Delivery.

Forgot to make an appointment with Harms for turn-in. Fortunately, only one other person waiting when I got there so they took care of us with no problem.

Watch out for the low curb on the East side of the Munich Harms. Takes small chucks out of bumpers. Personnel there says it happens all the time and is the first place they look when checking for damage!

Never did figure out the Munich Subway ticket machines. Hotels have an all day (and a 3-day) multi-person pass they sell to tourists that is a good deal. Get it at your hotel desk.

Drove to Berchtesgaden and spent 5 days. Was there for the region bicentennial with parades, etc. For history buffs, there is a great little company run by a couple of Americans who have been there for 20 years. They do historical tours - English only. See: http://www.eagles-nest-historical-tours.com Highly recommend them.

Also recommend the Vier Jahreszeiten (4 Seasons) hotel. Some locals recommend the restaurant as the best in town. Hotel and restaurant are run by Peter Miller and brother. Peter spent 20 years in the US as a chef so English not a problem. See: http://www.hotel-vierjahreszeiten-berchtesgaden.de/

Overall a wonderful experience. Oh yes, the car too. :)

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
I prefer InterContinental.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Glad my Alpine White is in style! I got caught with the ATM in Germany not working after my first withdrawl. My bank left a message on my home phone and I had to call them to confirm they were legitimate. Worked fine after that.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,691 Posts
Excellent observations... :beerchug:

a few comments...

Used my favorite system for beating the time change. "Overcoming Jet Lag" by Ehret and Scanlon. Used it in the military for long flights. It still works great. They have a new book out "The Cure for Jet Lag" but why not just spend a few dollars for a used copy of the old one on Amazon. Works great.
What is the method, briefly put?

Forgot to make an appointment with Herms for turn-in. Fortunately, only one other person waiting when I got there so they took care of us with no problem.
I believe you mean EH Harms.

Never did figure out the Munich Subway ticket machines. Hotels have an all day (and a 3-day) multi-person pass they sell to tourists that is a good deal. Get it at your hotel desk.
If you used the U-Bahn, I hope you did validate your ticket upon entry. The fines are quite steep for those who do not validate - and not understanding or figuring out won't be an acceptable excuse to the person who catches you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
will not hurt to let your Credit card folks know your card will be used outside the US.
When I last called AmEx with the list of countries and dates, I was told you don't need to call them anymore.

·
Is this thing on?
1,375 Posts
When I last called AmEx with the list of countries and dates, I was told you don't need to call them anymore.
Of course not. No need to inform them if no-one accepts it... ;)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I used Amex multiple times with no issues, it was just my ATM that gave me problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent observations... :beerchug:

"Used my favorite system for beating the time change. "Overcoming Jet Lag" by Ehret and Scanlon. Used it in the military for long flights. It still works great. They have a new book out "The Cure for Jet Lag" but why not just spend a few dollars for a used copy of the old one on Amazon. Works great."

What is the method, briefly put?
Briefly: Uses light exposure, methylated xanthines intake (caffeine, etc.) and total food intake to shock your system to the new time. Lots more to it of course. Different programs for Eastbound and Westbound and for each # of time zone changes. For example you give up caffeine for 3 days before travel to make your body more sensitive to it then at a certain time drink 3 cups of coffee or tea, then no more for 24 hours. Used by some Olympic athletes and past presidents as well as military. No overnight miracle but does force a rapid resynchronization. For me, first full day is a little hazy but after that I'm back to normal quickly. Happy travels :wave:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
White is the number ! color on US BMW orders now. Followed by Black/Black Sapphire.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
pharding
where did you get these stats?
Make sense; gotta plan for my next ed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Other observations.

When I was at Harms (Got it right this time - thanks Jonathan) there was a couple there from US on their 2nd ED. Had just toured Italy but never had heard of bimmerfest.com!

Also while there processing my car two car haulers came in and got into an extended conversation with the lady in charge. She asked me if she could take care of them first. Since I had to wait for Rolf to complete a run and return for me, told her to go ahead. Afterwards she explained to me what was going on. Seems that the car haulers get paid by the number of cars they transport but there is a German weight limit that they have to observe. They were fighting over the small cars so they could get more on their trucks. She said they don't like the big BMW 5-series and bigger and big Mercedes E-class and up. :rolleyes:

Rolf really does not like to make runs to Freising. (Marriott Airport Hotel) Says the streets are too confusing. :(

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
White is the number ! color on US BMW orders now. Followed by Black/Black Sapphire.
This is interesting. The last 2 cars I picked up in Munich were Alpine White and both times the CA mentioned that the only people in Germany that buy white cars are Doctors(Physicians) or Nurses. I did notice that most, if not all, of their ambulances are white.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,691 Posts
White is also for panel vans and kitchen cabinets.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts