BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I've been on board for over a month now after I got my first bimmer, and thanks to the great resources we already have in the forum this is my first post to ask a question which i cannot find an answer through `search'.

Does anyone know what the rated amperage the cigarette lighter receptacle is? I know it's 12-volt DC, but I want to know if it's rated 8 amps or 15 amps to make sure my utilization of it will not cause problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Fuse 52 is 30A.

·
Freude am Fahren
2,400 Posts
What are you running....a toaster?

You do know that you have a second power outlet in the glove compartment. Just buy a flashlight power adapter from BMW (it's about $10) and you have a second (ignition switched) power outlet.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
I'm just reporting what Bentley says. I'm surprised myself. In The Olden Days, lighters were fused at 10A.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the answers!

I am running a small tire inflator as I don't have ready access to power outlet. But a toaster is a good idea, though :)

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
I'm just reporting what Bentley says. I'm surprised myself. In The Olden Days, lighters were fused at 10A.
Just an FYI to back up what you found in the Bentley...the Fuse index in the glove box and in the trunk...also lists the amperages for the fuses that control the "charging socket" (fuse 39~7.5 amps) & "cig lighter" (fuse 52~30 amp):

glove box fuse index

trunk fuse index

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
What are you running....a toaster?
He could just burn small rings all over his slice of bread with the cigarette lighter. No need to go buy a whole toaster for that.

mw

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Thanks a lot for the answers!

I am running a small tire inflator as I don't have ready access to power outlet. But a toaster is a good idea, though :)
Ooop. Didn't see your post.

See above post.

mw

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tested working, which doesn't surprise me since the inflator only required 15 amps and the receptacle can handle 50A.

Easily inflated my bike tires to 40 psi. Now my bike ride and handling will be much better! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts