BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I've noticed a somewhat strange noise on cold start ups.
A slight rattle then you never hear it again. And it's very feint. But lately I've been driving in DS mode. And around 3k rpms when I'm going past walls or tunnels. It's kinda making a choppy noise. Like a rattling noise. However I'm not getting any codes or low boosts. Just curious as to what this could be? Wastegate rattle?
The car is 08 and has 76k miles. Am I still under warranty? Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same here. Also with the wastegate rattle they say a clanking noise is made when decelerating. But I don't have that either. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine almost sounds like the heat shield rattling over the muffler as soon as I start it but I dont have any noise when I accelerate or decelerate.

·
Registered
836 Posts
is it the muffler flap? My 335i would make a rattle when the flap opened once warmed up after a cold start. like a few clicks and then exhaust would flow out of both sides with a change in overall timbre.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Could be.. What'd you do to fix it? Golf tee mod?
If you do golf tee mod that leaves the flap always open, he said the rattle is there when the flap is in the open position. I'd assume the rattle is just from the exhaust if your wastegates aren't the problem. I have MagnaFlow on mine and it rattles since the exhaust is a straight through design so it's plenty loud

Sent with my carrier pigeon

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have the BMW performance exhaust.. Could that be why? Turbos seem to be spooling fine. Maybe it's just the noise of the exhaust and I've never noticed?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't think it has the flap either, I do know the inside of the muffler has less packing and a straight flow design instead of the perforated tube. And it could just be the way your exhaust is. I'd compare it to another 335i locally with the same exhaust

Sent with my carrier pigeon

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had an odd rattle sound on my e92 after doing a muffler delete. I left the valve sensor on just because it was there before I removed the muffler. After removing the valve and sensor the rattle stopped. Just depends on what kind of rattle you're hearing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A slight rattle then you never hear it again. And it's very feint. But lately I've been driving in DS mode. And around 3k rpms when I'm going past walls or tunnels. It's kinda making a choppy noise. Like a rattling noise. However I'm not getting any codes or low boosts. Just curious as to what this could be? Wastegate rattle?
I know you said that when you decelerate there is no rattling....what about when you do your cold start and drive right away? put it into 1st gear and decelerate...what happens? my car did the same thing that your car does. Cold start it rattles and then after driving about 4-5 mins its gone. it for sure was my wastegates because at cold start I walked around to the front right side of the car to hear the wastegates and sure enough the rattling is coming from there. It always seemed to me that it was my exhaust. I did the golf tee mod but rattling still there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a costly fix. One I am hoping I won't have to do for a while. I have much other maintenance to do before this and mods. Hope this helps everyone

·
Registered
451 Posts
Warranty was extended to 8 years/82000 miles in July 2012 by BMW bulletin SI B01 02 12. The 8 years is based on when your car was first placed in service. Check with dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an odd rattle sound on my e92 after doing a muffler delete. I left the valve sensor on just because it was there before I removed the muffler. After removing the valve and sensor the rattle stopped. Just depends on what kind of rattle you're hearing.
How did you fix it? What exactly did you do bc I'm having the same problem, I have muff deleted as well

·
Registered
91 Posts
How did you fix it? What exactly did you do bc I'm having the same problem, I have muff deleted as well
If it's an interior rattle, check the small cubby in between the rear seats, I have to leave my open so it doesn't rattle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts