BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a metal on metal type rattle coming from my driver side front. I live on a dirt road and it is very noticeable when driver slow on bumpy roads. I figured it is something in the front suspension as I know the e39 has problems with control arms and bushings failing and my front struts are trash (new ones going in soon). but the strange part is that the rattle goes away when the brakes are engaged. does this sound like anything you guys are familiar with? any input appreciated. thanks:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same. check the inner tir rod ends. they are fairly easy to replace. replaceing my inner and outter rod ends also stopped the shakeing in sterring wheel while braking between 40 and 25 mph.or rattle maybe from anti rattle clips on the calipers.

·
Registered
302 Posts
not sure if we are talking about the same thing...but i was driving my 528i on a dirt road this last weekend and got a horrible scratching-metal on metal noise from the passenger side front wheel. So I stopped, set the parking brake, crawled under the front, and pushed & pulled on the metal rotor-shied until a pebble fell out. Apparently it had wedged between the rotor and the shield and was grinding away...removing the pebble eliminated the noise. Never happened before, and I went another 14 miles on dirt roads that day without having it happen again.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
rattle coming from my driver side front ... very noticeable when driver slow on bumpy roads.
Does the front end rattle only happen while braking?

If so, check out this thread.

Otherwise, proceed as normal ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts