BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rattling in the rear

1013 14
I've started hearing an annoying rattling sound from the rear.
I'm not sure exactly where. My guess is from the rear deck. But I could be wrong...
Anyone has a guess? Is that a known problem?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
found mine to be the rear seat belts. plastic hitting the door.
JetBlack330i said:
I've started hearing an annoying rattling sound from the rear.
I'm not sure exactly where. My guess is from the rear deck. But I could be wrong...
Anyone has a guess? Is that a known problem?
Hm... I already checked that. Not it.
Have someone open a door to see if the sound is being emitted from something inside our outside the vehicle.
Ohhhh, you're in to something... it does happen on almost every bump of the road...
Are you saying shock mounts are loose? Why would they make noise? :dunno:
Kaz said:
shock mounts?
Sorry, I won't ask anyone in my family to open the door while the car is in movement. :nono:
I would ask some of my lunch buddies, but I suspect they will not comply... :eeps:
xspeedy said:
Have someone open a door to see if the sound is being emitted from something inside our outside the vehicle.
Just open some windows then. Might help if you do it in a parking garage where you can get some echo.

Knowing if it is internal/external will greatly narrow down the possibilities.
Do you have fold down seats? Also, take out all the headrests and see if the noise goes away.
They break. It's been a problem for 20 years. Do a search for rear shock mounts. I'm gonna replace mine (AGAIN) with Rogue ones, hopefully for good. And Ron Stygar has found an OEM-like one that seems to work too.
JetBlack330i said:
Ohhhh, you're in to something... it does happen on almost every bump of the road...
Are you saying shock mounts are loose? Why would they make noise? :dunno:
Yep.

1. remove lower mounting bolt from rear shock
2. Remove trunk liner to access shock mount
3. unbolt the 2 nuts that hold it to the car. Shock will fall out
4. Remove shock from mount
5. Attach new mount using appropriate hardware
6. Attach assembly to car using appropriate hardware (this varies based on mount)
7. Attach shock to control arm; reverse of step 1
8. reinstall trunk liner
9. Enjoy
I had an assortment of rattles. The last round was just like yours and it was indeed the shock mounts. I had them replaced and the noise is gone.
Not necessarily shock mount

I found a rattle in the rear to be the nut on top of the shock being loose. The washer on top of the shock was rattling and all it took to fix it was tightening the nylock nut on top of the shock. It is worth checking just to rule it out, just remove the trunk trim to get to it.
Yeah, I've got the same problems, noise in the front and rear. I'm going to wait (as long as the noises remain small - and intermittent) until after pot-hole season ends here, and then take it in for an inspection.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.