Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here but I do have a serious question. So I have a 2001 BMW 540i with 90,500 miles and recently we replaced the alternator, valve cover gaskets, timing chain gasket, and some other cosmetic stuff. However, whenever we start it there is a rattling noise in the front only during a cold start and it last for only a few seconds during the startup. I have looked it up and my theories are that it could be timing chain related(like timing chain guides) or possibly vanos issues. I doubt it would be vanos but honestly who knows. I'm leaning towards a timing chain issue but can anyone else shed a light on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start with relacing your timing chain tensioner. They tend to get gummed up or the spring gets weak and will cause the rattle. Could also be your check valves behind your vanos solenoids. The tensioner is easyer to get to and a few$ cheaper. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
So, did this just occur after the work you did?

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I had replaced all the parts when I did my guides except for the seals in the vanos.
I had the rattle only when starting the engine cold.
I then did the seals (o-rings) in the vanos which cured the startup rattle.
That was 5 years ago, I have no rattle.

·
Registered
480 Posts
FWIW these always sound like a rattle trap for the 2-3 seconds....more so as it gets closer to oil change time.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
As previously mentioned, I would replace the timing chain tensioner, if it has not been replaced previously. The INA brand is OEM and can be obtained for a reasonable cost. If you are not aware, BMW updated with a longer spring on the tensioner, to increase tension on the chain guide until the tensioner fills with oil. (I think the update occurred after production of the M62TU ended) This does help reduce the chain slap noise on cold start. It is such a simple and easy swap, it worth trying first. If this does not improve things, then follow Jim's advice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same problem on cold start up.4.4l v8 03 e39
I replaced timing chain,guides,vanos solonoids,replaced oil check valves behind vanos solonoids and replaced timing chain tensioner.i still have cold start rattle. Only thing left is rebuild vanos.
One other thing to consider,if plastic timing chain guides have come apart ,then what you have are alot of tiny plastic peices flowing through your engine and getting lodged ( i did not say clogged) in ALL the engine oil check valves holding them open and allowing all of your oil to drain back down to the oil pan..
One way to check for oil bleed down is to remove oil filter cap after letting car sit all night.note the level of oil in canister. If its empty,check the check valve operation on bottom of canister.
Although ,broken timing chain guides on the 4.4 are not a death sentence for your engine,it is the beginning of alot of other small problems.
If I was to ever do another timing chain set on one of these engines,I would pull the motor,pull it completely apart,have the block boiled,new rings and bearings installed and new tappets and put it all back together.
If anyone knows if there is a oil galley check valve in the oil pump itself,please let me know.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
There is an oil check valve in the front upper inside deck on the block. This prevents oil from the heads from draining back. The only way to get at them is to pull the heads.
If you’ve got more than a 100K on your engine I’d say it’s a very good chance your vanos seals are shot.
All of the ones I’ve replaced the o-rings on would have the center section fall out if you held it upside down. With new o-rings it was hard to just turn the center by hand, you had to push the center to get it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts