Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 335i E93. On start up I get a raw gasoline smell in the cabin, no visible leaks outside and no odor outside. Gas cap is on and tight, no warning lights. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
2008 335i E93. On start up I get a raw gasoline smell in the cabin, no visible leaks outside and no odor outside. Gas cap is on and tight, no warning lights. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Can you smell gas out side the car? Obviously, there's a leak that occurs when the fuel system is pressurized. Unless you have a gas can in the back seat.....

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
I just recently had this on my 1'er, turned out to be a fouled plug due to a faulty coil pack
are you able to get any codes also apparently could be a leaking fuel pressure sensor. The sensor is located near the fresh air vents which is where the smell get's into the cabin.
Run the engine to pressurize the fuel system and then where the plastic meets the metal housing of the sensor is where the sensor leaks.
If the sensor is ok check out the fuel rail and injectors. BECAREFUL leaking fuel can make a big fire don't delay on thsi.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Can you smell gas out side the car? Obviously, there's a leak that occurs when the fuel system is pressurized. Unless you have a gas can in the back seat.....

The leak is probably under the back seat though ! Fuel pumps known to crack and leak under pressure. Pull bottom part of your back seat out and check out plastic top of sending unit for leaks

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The leak is probably under the back seat though ! Fuel pumps known to crack and leak under pressure. Pull bottom part of your back seat out and check out plastic top of sending unit for leaks

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
My regulator/sending unit cracked and leaked last week. There was a puddle of gas sitting on top of the unit. Gas smell was strong outside car but there was none inside. The covers under the rear seat did a good job of keeping it out of the cabin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Closing the loop. Thanks for the input. I pulled the rear seat, no gas smell and it's dry. Fuel rails up front are dry as well. We've started it a few times over the last several days and the combo that creates the odor is very cold starts. The raw gas smeill is actually coming from the exhaust pipes on initial start up, then it doesn't happen fro the rest of the day. I think an over rich condition at start. The e93 is car #3 so gets used 2x per week tops.

Great group, thanks.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Someone else on the Fest had this issue years ago. I can't remember the details, but search might be able to find it. Good luck. N4S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts