BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Belt and Crank Seal

I've read a lot about the OFHG and/or belts shredding/breaking/flying off the pulleys and wrapping and breaking through the Crank Seal. I haven't had a chance to look closer at the Crank Seal area, but I was wondering if there was any way some kind of "shield" or "guard" can be fabricated and installed to "block" a belt from getting to and through the Crank Seal?

If something like that exists already, please point the community in that direction.

Preventive maintenance aside, some kind of protection is better, yes?

Thanks for any input or suggestions. If someone crafty enough does end up making this shield, please give me a shout-out, unless I'm not the first person to think about such a thing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I have thought of that before seems like and excellent idea.
And a way of sleeping easier at night.
How could it be securely attached .
so it could take a beating stay in place and deflect the belt.
It looks like that seals is Inches long so I don't see how it gets
inside the motor in the first place.
Somehow you would have to test it.
You would thing anybody that had to drop the pan clean out the
Engine or replace it would have though about it to.
Maybe the Pulley itself could be redesigned with enough lip to
prevent this.

Something 3d printed maybe?

wish BMW would have thought of that.

dipstict retro would be nice to.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I feel like it would just be easier to check your belt every oil change / replace when necessary, and monitor oil leaks.
Yeah, +1 to this. I mean the belt (aside from some random, premature failure, which is pretty rare) should last tens of thousands of miles. It's not an item that should be replaced with every oil change interval.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
When the tensioner is the problem the belt may look
fine . You got and objective way to measure the tension?
Also some have reported the One weak aluminum bolt
that holds the tensioner in as bending .

Regardles would a 10 to 100 dollar part protecting a 5k plus engine
have been a good idea . I think yes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If the belt, tensioner and pulleys are fine at every check how long should you go before replacing them as part of preventative maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Mike Miller old school says 60k.
The offhand way to tell if they are bad is belt creeping over the side
of the pulley or edge wear on the belt
It would be nice to find some way of measuring the spring tension
with and actual numerical result.
Some reporting going 180k plus before changing it.
Thing is on most other cars if the belt breaks you just replace it
and there is no spring you just tension it with the alternator
position most of the time.
Got and Integra with 310k on it never had belt problem never had
to retention well once after some idiot mechanic at a local shop replaced
the power steering pump.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm replacing the belt, tensioner and all the bolts every 20K miles. I realize the "recommended" standard is 60K miles. Even if you took the median of the two, 40K miles, you're going to be pretty safe there (again, the exception being some random premature failure).

If someone's going 180K before changing their belt, IMO, they deserve to have to sucked into the engine. That's like saying you can go 100K miles between oil changes because some dude over here did it and didn't have any issues. The belt drive system is a consumable, regular maintenance item. If someone chooses not to treat it like that, I personally don't think a "shield" or "guard" should save them.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I kind of disagree on your analogy to oil changes since
this is not even an issue on most other vehicles.
I do agree it needs frequent attention.
Most people that drive these are not even aware its
a problem.(until its to late)
And are oblivious and just replace the belt and keep on driving
till they burn up there engine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I feel like ya'll are being paranoid, belts don't just all of a sudden fall apart and neither do the belt tensioners. It's something that you can see / hear coming and as long as you monitor them with age there wont be a problem. When the belt starts to ride on the edge of the pulley or if you notice the tensioner leaning or making noise it's time to replace it. Belts are a different story especially with most of today's belts never showing cracks that would be a millage item something to check in your service manual, but why throw away money and waste time doing something that is unnecessary? For the record while it is common for the belt to go through the crank seal I have seen belts pitch and not wrap around the crank only once on the N54 but N51 N52 I've seen multiple times. In almost every cases the belt was either soaked in oil, or the tensioner completely failed.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I kind of disagree on your analogy to oil changes since
this is not even an issue on most other vehicles.
I gotta disagree there. Belts are a consumable item on EVERY vehicle. If an owner's mantra is to simply drive until the belt snaps on the road and replace it then, to me, that's the same like saying no point in doing an oil change until the car complains about low oil pressure. Or don't bother changing an air filter until the engine can't run anymore because it's so clogged it can't get enough oxygen.

On many vehicles, timing is handled by a rubber belt too. On interference engines, if you snap the timing belt, you can bend valves.

Belts are totally an issue on every vehicle on the road (ICE vehicles anyways, not sure about EVs), and belts are a consumable maintenance item.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I know about timing belts and valve jobs ..
I have had three in various Honda's and Acura's
two of which were not my fault do to negligence.
That's why I got a feeling of confidence with the N52
with a timing chain.
However this was totally destroyed by this belt design
flaw.
Belt are so much better than they use to be .
Anybody seen cracks in modern belts.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I know about timing belts and valve jobs ..
I have had three in various Honda's and Acura's
two of which were not my fault do to negligence.
That's why I got a feeling of confidence with the N52
with a timing chain.
However this was totally destroyed by this belt design
flaw.
Belt are so much better than they use to be .
Anybody seen cracks in modern belts.
I wish I had taken a picture yesterday ! A 2012 Subaru Impreza. MIGHT be the original belt, not sure (as I'm not the first owner). 60K miles. Was badly cracked across all ribs at about 20 points along the span of the belt, and would have failed, likely, within months.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Yukoner Do you know Tony Beats and Parker from Gold Rush.
They must be local Hero's , Its my favorite anti Kardassian show.
Or maybe I am confusing the Klondike and the Yukon.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yukoner Do you know Tony Beats and Parker from Gold Rush.
They must be local Hero's , Its my favorite anti Kardassian show.
Or maybe I am confusing the Klondike and the Yukon.
lol, I have met them both.

I live in Whitehorse, which is the capital city of the Yukon. The "Klondike" is a region of the Yukon to the north of me, about ~350 miles. Dawson City is the hub city of that region. That's where Tony are Parker are. I'm up there at least twice a year for work purposes.

Parker used to be in Alaska near Haines. That's about ~250 miles from Whitehorse.

I've met the Hoffmans as well. Jim Thurber, all those guys.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I really like that show .
Those guys are so real in this age of phoniness and lies.
Give em a thumbs up for me.
The entire population of the Yukon is only 38,000 people. More than 2/3 live in or around Whitehorse. Dawson only has around 1,500 people.

Funny thing about reality shows is that they don't show much of any reality.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I really like that show .
Those guys are so real in this age of phoniness and lies.
Give em a thumbs up for me.
The entire population of the Yukon is only 38,000 people. More than 2/3 live in or around Whitehorse. Dawson only has around 1,500 people.

Funny thing about reality shows is that they don't show much of any reality.
So this is kind of true. Yes, the show is exaggerated to an extent. This is on purpose of course, because just watching someone "doing their job" would be pretty boring. Even though we're all BMW enthusiasts here, I think we'd all find it pretty boring to watch a 1 hour episode that was literally just filming the mechanics bays at a BMW dealership.

What I can tell you is that the personas of Tony Beets, Parker Schnabel, the Hoffmans, etc, are absolutely realistic. For example, Tony is as crass in person as he is on the show.

Yes, it's television, for sure. But it's not AS BAD as some of those other shows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a new fix for this which is a metal plate that covers the crank seal opening area. I am on a list when they produce more. A video was done and is impressive. They sold out immediately. I will be doing this on our high HP 135i N54 once I get ahold of the new plate and have it installed along with new belt as preventative maintenance. This car has 57,000 miles so good time to it when access is easier when belt is replaced. Will also have pulleys and related components checked at the same time . Check out /search Oxwerkz Performance on FB.
This is for 2010 135i my sons car. Which is very quick and immaculate as we did a father and son build , engine , suspension, interior, coding , etc.....Over the last few years . Hope this helps for your question.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts