BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

RE-coding no-dazzle high-beam assistance?

319892 Views 2092 Replies 157 Participants Last post by  cmyachtie
On the US market, when you order 5AC Automatic high beams, you also get the following:

5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance

From what I understand, this is to DISABLE the no-dazzle high beam assistance feature, described as:

"Included in the equipment package for the first time is an anti-dazzle High-Beam Assistant, which allows high beam to remain engaged even when there is oncoming traffic. A cover applied across the headlights as and when required eliminates the danger of dazzling approaching vehicles."

So, any ideas on how to enable this via coding?

In FEM_BODY, under LaMaster1, I see a couple of related entries. However, when I changed the binary values (werte) and code, it didn't work (but the car showed error messages regarding blind spot and adaptive headlights).

Any of these entries make sense? I assumed C_HBA_ENA does not apply to the F30, but C_HBA_GRHB_ENA and/or C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA should do the trick.

I later noticed that it had reverted to the original settings. The car even forgot my previous changes (windows up, folding mirrors with keyfob, etc.). I don't know whether this is related to an out of memory error e-sys gave a couple of times (restarted e-sys every time). I tried the whole thing again to no avail.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 2093 Posts
Unfortunately US cars do not have this feature. You could potentially retrofit it if you brought over ECE headlamps, but I'm not aware of it being compatible (yet) with the US DOT headlamp beam pattern.

Essentially the car "tracks" an oncoming light source and uses a built-in shutter in the headlamp housing to adjust the light output and "dip" the lights. Your highbeams remain ON, but the pattern changes to not dazzle oncoming traffic.

Here's a video from Bimmerpost:
Are you sure? The BMW system is very simple compared to Mercedes / VAG, just changing the height of the cutoff, afaik. In other words, all it needs is the high/low beam shutter mechanism to be variable instead of on/off.

I'd be surprised if they have two separate housing designs when it is so simple.

You are right on the DOT issue though. From what I heard, BMW didn't go through DOT compliance, and simply disabled the feature altogether for the US market.
I have run ECE headlights on all my cars. While you'd think the housing would be the same more often than not it isn't. It's been this way with Audi, VW, BMW, etc.

There's always some difference.
So just FYI... European F30:

For vehicles with
Xenon Light S522A=Yes
Adaptive Headlights S524A=Yes

Bi-xenon headlight AKL, left 63117338701
Bi-xenon headlight AKL, right 63117338702

For vehicles with
Xenon Light S522A=Yes
Adaptive Headlights S524A=No

Bi-xenon headlight, left 63117314531
Bi-xenon headlight, right 63117314532

Different part numbers.
Point taken. Thanks.

The reason I still feel there is a chance it's a coding only issue is the "5AP Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" option in the car build.

If it was a hardware issue, why add that to the list of options on the car? We don't get, for example, "bumper reflectors", "rear red turn signal", and "rear fog light delete" in the option list :dunno:
I did find part numbers (apparently for the US market) for both bi-xenon and bi-xenon adaptive lights. So perhaps it's coming? I don't know.

BMW option codes are interesting. There are "top level" option codes that automatically assign components during build. Some option codes are not used, deprecated, or reserved. (5AP in the US market might be one of those - the M6 Coupe/Convertible have this code, as does the F01 LCI.) So while the option exists, there's another companion option code required. (On my car, 522 is Xenon headlamps. You'd need 523 or something, but 523 isn't valid for your model code - see below.)

But as for the market-specific items, this is all contained within the model code. For example, my car is FV93. But in EU it's FV91. FV93 automatically adds the appropriate components for NA cars during build, like reflectors, etc.
Oh - btw - if you can, post the part numbers for your headlights (if it's accessible). I can tell you immediately whether it's coding or not.
Sorry this took so long...

Left: 63.11-7 259 553
Right: 63.11-7 259 554

Thanks
Oh - btw - if you can, post the part numbers for your headlights (if it's accessible). I can tell you immediately whether it's coding or not.
I'm trying to find the bundle those part numbers are part of. I'll get back to you.
Today I played around (again) with the HBA settings under 3073 LaMaster1 and the HBA speed settings under 3074 LaMaster2 of FEM_BODY.

I can confirm, without any doubt, that with the current settings I have, under auto high beam mode, the car sometimes uses something in between the high and low beam settings. The high beam indicator remains on when in the medium-beam setting(s?). Yes, this is what the No-Dazzle High Beam Assist is supposed to be. And no, I don't know how many steps / zones does the system have between full high and full low beam.

Unfortunately however, I am pretty sure that the car is sometimes using a too aggressive beam, making the whole system unsafe to use. I'm not sure whether this is due to the speed settings I changed, other settings that need to be changed, or hardware limitations of the US model (e.g. camera, camera calibration, headlight hardware).

P.S. My original goal for changing the speed settings was to reduce the minimum speed for the auto high beam to function.

Anyone with a European model care to share their HBA settings, please?
Can someone tell me what VO is needed for high beam assist in the F10, is this just coding, or you need hardware ?. Thanks.
It is hardware too. You need the KAFAS camera which can support HBA, LDW, and SLI, and I think now their exists a new HBA only camera on some models.
Can someone tell me what VO is needed for high beam assist in the F10, is this just coding, or you need hardware ?. Thanks.
I took 5AP off my VO and recoded FEM_body and it gave me horizontal glare free high beam (GFHB). I enabled the vertical setting and the shutter setting too and it has everything working

It is pretty cool on a dark two lane road. It is too touchy in my opinion on the highway. It has to swap back and forth too often.
Today I played around (again) with the HBA settings under 3073 LaMaster1 and the HBA speed settings under 3074 LaMaster2 of FEM_BODY.

I can confirm, without any doubt, that with the current settings I have, under auto high beam mode, the car sometimes uses something in between the high and low beam settings. The high beam indicator remains on when in the medium-beam setting(s?). Yes, this is what the No-Dazzle High Beam Assist is supposed to be. And no, I don't know how many steps / zones does the system have between full high and full low beam.

Unfortunately however, I am pretty sure that the car is sometimes using a too aggressive beam, making the whole system unsafe to use. I'm not sure whether this is due to the speed settings I changed, other settings that need to be changed, or hardware limitations of the US model (e.g. camera, camera calibration, headlight hardware).

P.S. My original goal for changing the speed settings was to reduce the minimum speed for the auto high beam to function.

Anyone with a European model care to share their HBA settings, please?
Will these options and settings also apply to a European F20 with HBA?
And is there a chance to adjust the basic sensitivity for automatic switching off of the high beams?

Thanks!
Has anyone tried this with LED adaptive headlights?
Not that I have heard, but for AHB to work, it should not matter if the car as Xenon AHL's or LED AHL's.
Has anyone tried this with LED adaptive headlights?
I haven't messed with any of the fine tune settings yet. There are a number of variables that can be adjusted. Obviously it is optimized for euro roads and traffic control patterns. I suspect some fine tuning may give us the best results in the US.
Will these options and settings also apply to a European F20 with HBA?
And is there a chance to adjust the basic sensitivity for automatic switching off of the high beams?

Thanks!
The LED system does not use a shutter for high beams. It just lights a different set of LEDs. The coding might be different for Xenon versus LED.
Not that I have heard, but for AHB to work, it should not matter if the car as Xenon AHL's or LED AHL's.
I was doing some research on this topic and came across the attached data from BMW. It's actually very informative and answers most of our questions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 2093 Posts