Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am replacing the alternator bracket gasket on a 2004 645 Ci. I have completed everything and the bracket/engine mount bracket are reinstalled.

I am having difficulty dropping the engine back down on the mounts.

It seems since I have the car on jack stands and the engine suspended, the engine wants to level out thus shifting from its original orientation.

does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried lightly hammering on the mounting bolts - but those puppies don’t really want to move.

I have Sat the engine down on the bolts a couple times trying to re-mount, is it possible I damaged the mounts?

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Try put a floor jack under the oil pan, with a 2x6 on top of the jack. This way you can see while you lower the engine, & pry it to one side if needed. I am going to assume that you are talking about the mounting side of the bracket with just one nut, & not the complete bracket? Try & get one side bolted in place, then work the other side down. I usually just undo one side, & let the engine roll over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - both sides using one nut.

Using a combination of raising and lowering while pushing on the mounting bolts with a crow bar, I was able to wiggle the brackets down onto the mounts one side at a time. (y)

thanks for your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts