Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ad Grunt
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
re: ZM3 S54 OBD recall

How many of you here have had the recall done without any problems? Took mine in today for routine oil service and dealer tried to get me to do the recall. I asked them to hold off because I forgot to de-shark and I have read of issues regarding the recall procedure.

Last time I had smog check the test equiptment had no problems communicating with the car. Wondering if this recall can be delayed or even ignored completely.

Also dealer tried to sell me a fuel system cleaning for $180. Is this necessary? I am at 37k miles.

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,721 Posts
My dealer installed it the last time I took my car in. That was several months ago and I have not see any issues.

I'm over 50K now and no one has tried to sell me a fuel system cleaning. As long as you are using good fuel and are not seeing any problems I doubt you need the cleaning. That being said, I know some people who put the fuel cleaners in about once a month.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a stock S54 and did bring it in for the recall. I don't know what they did, but my car is much quicker now. Something woke up in the car and also in me. In fact, that is why I joined this board. I have had so much fun with it in the last few months that now I want more. I have appreciated all the posts and am now trying to decide what to get and in what order, to get more power and not waste it spinning tires.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a stock S54 and did bring it in for the recall. I don't know what they did, but my car is much quicker now. Something woke up in the car and also in me. In fact, that is why I joined this board. I have had so much fun with it in the last few months that now I want more. I have appreciated all the posts and am now trying to decide what to get and in what order, to get more power and not waste it spinning tires.
Want more power? Check out these guys: www.vf-engineering.com

I just had my 2.8 done with about 50% increase in HP, with only using 6psi...

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
I have done the recall, and had no issues. I am not sharked.

On fuel system cleaning, just use Chevron Techron every 3k miles. BMW sells a re-bottled version of Techron that is CHEAPER than what's available at many Chevron dealers. This is supported by a BMW bulletin (Thanks to Ron Stygar):

Pings, carbon, and Techron: SI B 13 05 06 dated September 2006.
20oz bottle from BMW (techron) part # 82 14 0 413 341 $12.50 retail.

I thought I was getting top-tier gas (76), but developed minor pinging -- it took 2 rounds of Techron to clean it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts