BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outstanding site with a wealth of information, thanks to all who have educated me while I have been lurking. I have decide to lease a 530xi I live in Manhattan so I naturally contacted BMW of Manhattan. I spoke with a sales associate and emailed over my vehicle description with all the options I wanted and also told him that thanks to Bimmerfest, I learned that 1000 dollars over invoice was a fair deal for both of us. The salesman toldme the best he could can do is $2500 over invoice. He then asked If I purchased the car from another dealer where would I get it serviced. I replied I would probably get the car serviced at Manhattan BMW. He responded I would not get preferential treatment if I didn’t buy my car from them.
Is $2500 over invoice a bad deal on a three year lease?
How important is it to buy a car from the dealer you plan to get it serviced from?
Can anyone recommend a dealer in New York (Rockland, Orange, Sullivan) or Northern New Jersey that might be better.

Thanks for all you help

·
Registered
59 Posts
bluey said:
Outstanding site with a wealth of information, thanks to all who have educated me while I have been lurking. I have decide to lease a 530xi I live in Manhattan so I naturally contacted BMW of Manhattan. I spoke with a sales associate and emailed over my vehicle description with all the options I wanted and also told him that thanks to Bimmerfest, I learned that 1000 dollars over invoice was a fair deal for both of us. The salesman toldme the best he could can do is $2500 over invoice. He then asked If I purchased the car from another dealer where would I get it serviced. I replied I would probably get the car serviced at Manhattan BMW. He responded I would not get preferential treatment if I didn't buy my car from them.
How important is it to buy a car from the dealer you plan to get it serviced from?
Can anyone recommend a dealer in New York (Rockland, Orange, Sullivan) or Northern New Jersey that might be better.

Thanks for all you help
$2,500 over invoice seems pretty high to me. As far as service goes you can serivce the car at any BMW dealer. The only thing you miss out on would be getting a loaner from BMW Manhattan. I got my car at Rallye BMW in Roslyn, had a very good experience. During my negotiatons I dealt with Rallye, Habberstad and BMW Bayside. I would have to say the best deal came from Rallye (surprisingly) and the best CA I dealt with was at Habberstad (Rich, I believe). Good luck!

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
That is not a bad deal

You have to remember that BMW Manhattan has a lot more overhead to cover, wages are higher etc.. So $2500 over invoice is not a bad deal - its about 2-3% more than you would pay out of the city. Do you expect a Coke to be more expensive in NYC than in Jersey? So, why is a car any different?

However, if you are willing to travel out of the city, you can get a better deal. Personally, my last 2 bimmers have been serviced in different dealerships from where I bought them. Service has always been fine - including loanders. Ask the CA what "preferential treatment" covers, and get it in writing. That treatment tends to be easily forgotten...

·
Registered Abuser
547 Posts
A good deal is when two people agree on terms and fulfil each others expectations.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
chrischeung said:
Service has always been fine - including loanders. Ask the CA what "preferential treatment" covers, and get it in writing. That treatment tends to be easily forgotten...
Some dealers don'r provide loaners to customers who did not purchase the car from them. Not such a big deal if you live and work in Manhattan.

The other issue would be appointment scheduling. It's possible that a dealer might give it's "good" customers earlier dates.

·
Registered
356 Posts
bluey, check your PM

·
Registered
124 Posts
How longs your lease?

Consider how many times you'll need service under a lease? All maintaince is covered and the intervals are 12K or 1 year so how much preferential service are you going to miss out on?

The service department scheduler has no idea who you are. They take your name and give you a time. You show-up for you apt., drive-in, get out and hand your keys to a Jr. level service advisor who isn't concerned with who you are and points you to the waiting room where you sit for an hour while the oil is changed. He just cares about moving the cars along. Not really sure what prefered during those 3 visits would be????!!!!

And really, do you need a loaner in NYC?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
racefaith said:
The service department scheduler has no idea who you are. They take your name and give you a time. You show-up for you apt., drive-in, get out and hand your keys to a Jr. level service advisor who isn't concerned with who you are and points you to the waiting room where you sit for an hour while the oil is changed. He just cares about moving the cars along. Not really sure what prefered during those 3 visits would be????!!!!

And really, do you need a loaner in NYC?
At BMW of Darian all customers are assigned a specific service advisor. Every time you call, you speak to the same guy. I have no idea if they discriminate against non-purchasing customers though (but they only give loaners to customers who purchased the car at the dealer).

OTOH BMW of Manhattan is a factory owned dealer so it may be different (not that you probably need a loaner anyway).

·
Registered
540 Posts
bluey said:
Outstanding site with a wealth of information, thanks to all who have educated me while I have been lurking. I have decide to lease a 530xi I live in Manhattan so I naturally contacted BMW of Manhattan. I spoke with a sales associate and emailed over my vehicle description with all the options I wanted and also told him that thanks to Bimmerfest, I learned that 1000 dollars over invoice was a fair deal for both of us. The salesman toldme the best he could can do is $2500 over invoice. He then asked If I purchased the car from another dealer where would I get it serviced. I replied I would probably get the car serviced at Manhattan BMW. He responded I would not get preferential treatment if I didn***8217;t buy my car from them.

Thanks for all you help
Just ordered a 530xi. I'm paying 1100 over invoice at BMW of Greenwich. PM for details.

i'm also leaving 7 MSD's to lower my MF to .00111

1 - 10 of 10 Posts