BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i'm new here, i'm a fed up Audi owner ready to take the plunge to the (possibly) better side.

So i have made my mind up and spec'd up a 435d xdrive Gran Coupe ready for delivery in September if i order it soon.

So i have been super excited about the new car but then found out on a few reputable websites about a facelift due in 2017, the latest info is that it will have new headlights and bumper design, and importantly for me new interior options.

I say important because my only reservation about the car compared to Audi is the slightly more dated interiors, so the prospect of something new has put a spanner in the works.

So i guess i'm just wanting your opinions on what you think i should do? How much of a difference do you think the facelift will make to the exterior and interior? Very minor?

Also it says it's due early next year, so assuming it will be available in March it might take another 3 months to build and then it's not far off a year from now.

Should i wait, or should i just order the car this week?

Cheers!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Depends if you need the car now. This is completely an emotional decision

I think the interior changes will be miniscule, the outside will be a bit different. Maybe a new front bumper like the 3 series, rear LED headlights and new look of front daytime running lights. I personally love the sorta oldschool angel eyes, when I saw the car, I immidiately fell in love and have no regret not waiting for the facelift. I might consider getting myself the rear LED lights if the retrofit will be possible and easy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I feel like lci's are worth waiting for, but keep in mind there's always something new and better right around the corner regardless of when you take the plunge. I would wait for the lci if possible.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
If you have the time to wait for LCI, then wait and see what it looks like. At that point pre-LCI's will be offered at a slight discount too. All you're really buying is new headlights and taillights if you go M-sport as the bumpers for those will likely remained unchanged.

Based on the 3 LCI, tail lights will definitely become LEDs. Headlights will get the more open perimeter angel eyes/DRLs. However, I think they really messed the angel eyes up on the 3 compared to the new 7 or the 4 series concept. The 7 series and 4 series concept have much smoother contours for the angel eyes while the 3's comes together at some abrupt angles.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hello everyone, i'm new here, i'm a fed up Audi owner ready to take the plunge to the (possibly) better side.

So i have made my mind up and spec'd up a 435d xdrive Gran Coupe ready for delivery in September if i order it soon.

So i have been super excited about the new car but then found out on a few reputable websites about a facelift due in 2017, the latest info is that it will have new headlights and bumper design, and importantly for me new interior options.

I say important because my only reservation about the car compared to Audi is the slightly more dated interiors, so the prospect of something new has put a spanner in the works.

So i guess i'm just wanting your opinions on what you think i should do? How much of a difference do you think the facelift will make to the exterior and interior? Very minor?

Also it says it's due early next year, so assuming it will be available in March it might take another 3 months to build and then it's not far off a year from now.

Cheers!
In the states there will be a new version called the 440 that has a new motor in it, as well as some changes to the iDrive system including the ability to order apple carplay support.

Is this the same in Europe? I would wait for the 440, as the new motor is going to be faster and more fuel efficient. I would wait if I were you for a 2017.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! Good to see it's an active forum!

I do have time to wait, its more of an impatience thing and the fact i've done what we all do before buying a car - a tonne of research and reading reviews, and in the process getting very excited especially the transition of Audi to BMW after 10 years.

So it was almost disappointing to see the news of the facelift.

Would you say my timeline prediction of the release date being around March from a quote of "it is expected to be due early next year" is correct? Because if so it would mean that if i bought the car now for delivery this September, it would be around 6-7 months before i'd see them popping up on the roads, and by then i think i'd be over the whole facelift debacle anyway.

Oh and to the point about the M Sport bumpers, i have in fact spec'd the M Sport plus package with the M performance aerodynamic pack (non carbon fibre) too and 19" alloys, so it will be very sporty, i'm wondering if this would camouflage any facelifted bumper changes anyway?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Good to see it's an active forum!

I do have time to wait, its more of an impatience thing and the fact i've done what we all do before buying a car - a tonne of research and reading reviews, and in the process getting very excited especially the transition of Audi to BMW after 10 years.

So it was almost disappointing to see the news of the facelift.

Would you say my timeline prediction of the release date being around March from a quote of "it is expected to be due early next year" is correct? Because if so it would mean that if i bought the car now for delivery this September, it would be around 6-7 months before i'd see them popping up on the roads, and by then i think i'd be over the whole facelift debacle anyway.

Oh and to the point about the M Sport bumpers, i have in fact spec'd the M Sport plus package with the M performance aerodynamic pack (non carbon fibre) too and 19" alloys, so it will be very sporty, i'm wondering if this would camouflage any facelifted bumper changes anyway?

Thanks again guys!
I did not know there was going to be an LCI (Life Cycle Impulse... BMW speak for the mid run facelift) in 2017, so thats news to me. I did know that in 2017 the 440 is coming out which is an upgrade to the current 435 with a new motor and some new bits as it were. Here in the US, we are now expecting the 440s to start to hit dealers around the august time frame I think... Maybe july for the first one, and then ordered cars around august or september.

If the LCI is due "early next year" my guess it would be as a 2018 model, not a 2017 model, so arrival to dealers around july / august next year. I am speculating however.

It could be that you were reading about the 440s and their availability where you are is early next year. Availability is different around the globe. For example, the 440 is already available in germany i believe.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
Folks he's in the UK and getting a "d" not an "i".

Cheers!
The LCI LED headlights probably won't be substantially different than the pre-LCI LEDs. If your expectation of a new and improved interior is your primary reason for waiting then don't wait. The interior changes will be minor tweaks, nothing dramatic. BMW does spartan, Teutonic interiors. It's their thing. The LCI isn't going to have dramatic materials changes. That's not how BMW does things.

It wouldn't be surprising for March to bring a 2018 LCI 4er. That might or might not include the Gran Coupe. The GC came to market almost a year after the F32 coupe.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Folks he's in the UK and getting a "d" not an "i".

The LCI LED headlights probably won't be substantially different than the pre-LCI LEDs. If your expectation of a new and improved interior is your primary reason for waiting then don't wait. The interior changes will be minor tweaks, nothing dramatic. BMW does spartan, Teutonic interiors. It's their thing. The LCI isn't going to have dramatic materials changes. That's not how BMW does things.

It wouldn't be surprising for March to bring a 2018 LCI 4er. That might or might not include the Gran Coupe. The GC came to market almost a year after the F32 coupe.
Doh... I did catch that he was in the UK (leeds) but missed the D vs I somehow.... I didnt know there was a Diesel 435, but we obviously dont get it here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well its good you're doing your research because one of the worst feelings would be to go to a BMW dealer and purchase a car on it's last model year and not know. And the dealers won't say a thing, they're in it for the money. Next year you realize there's an updated model that looks different, feeling regretful of your purchase.

If you have the time to wait for LCI, then wait and see what it looks like. At that point pre-LCI's will be offered at a slight discount too. All you're really buying is new headlights and taillights if you go M-sport as the bumpers for those will likely remained unchanged.

Based on the 3 LCI, tail lights will definitely become LEDs. Headlights will get the more open perimeter angel eyes/DRLs. However, I think they really messed the angel eyes up on the 3 compared to the new 7 or the 4 series concept. The 7 series and 4 series concept have much smoother contours for the angel eyes while the 3's comes together at some abrupt angles.
That's really interesting, I never noticed this.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It becomes pretty apparent when you look at the headlights from the side. The 3 LCI's inner horizontal light isn't even connected to the optical element surrounding the main head lights.

3 LCI

7 Series

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
BMW does spartan, Teutonic interiors. It's their thing. The LCI isn't going to have dramatic materials changes. That's not how BMW does things.
The big change is from Audi to BMW all right....from switches everywhere for everything....eye candy in the dark....to 'less is more.' OP's doing the right thing.

So. What are the LCI changes? Please post w/pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning!

Yes sorry i'm based in the UK, currently own an Audi S3 sportback, been wanting something bigger / more executive looking but still with 4 doors, 4 wheel drive and plenty of power!

The GC is perfect really!

So yes i guess the primary concern was that the LCI would have some sort of space age cabin with a digital dashboard!

If that's not likely to be the case then it might sway my decision to order soon, the lights on the 7 series look great, but as someone pointed out earlier - i think i prefer the angel eyes look to the (a quote from an article) "the sideways question mark look"

The current interior is not even that bad, everything feels well made and prestigious. I'm actually in a new A4 courtesy car at the moment which shares the same interior as the brand new A5, my verdict is that Audi has taken a step back with the interior, it's not well laid out and the gear selector lever is straight from the 80's!

Anyway, here's the latest article that i lifted the LCI information from

http://handi.tech/2018-bmw-4-series-gran-coupe-facelift-specs-redesign-price-release-date/

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, i was just wondering, the LCI will have a revised front bumper, but does this mean that speccing the M Sport bumper with it will simply make it look the same as the current model with the M Sport kit on?

That would then only leave the new LED design as the only noticeable front end change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks for the article. Even the article says that it would be a 2018 model, so it would not be available until about (at the earliest) july / august next year as a 2018 model. So, you would have a long wait ahead of you if you were going to wait. Cant answer on the bumper on the LCI... I can just tell you that I am extremely happy with the overall look of my car.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,789 Posts
Thanks for the article. Even the article says that it would be a 2018 model, so it would not be available until about (at the earliest) july / august next year as a 2018 model. So, you would have a long wait ahead of you if you were going to wait. Cant answer on the bumper on the LCI... I can just tell you that I am extremely happy with the overall look of my car.
That's not necessarily true. Sometimes BMW changes model years in March. They did that this year with the 2017 X3 and 6 Series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is an even newer article from Autocar, note how it says it's now expected to be due in the middle of next year, confirms the new headlights too!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-bmw-4-series-gran-coupé-facelift-spotted

If it turns out to be July / August then i will definitely order one now, and jjrandorin the car as it is now certainly is stunning, colour choice will be my next obstacle

Thanks
Just to clarify, they're not talking about the 2017 Bmw 4 series, right? It's technically the 2018 series? The article states "2017 Bmw 4," so I'm assuming they're speaking of the year 2017, not the 2017 models that come out this summer. The ones coming out this summer will remain unchanged (looks-wise), correct?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts