BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy that I work with parked next to me today. He drives a 2010 128I (non turbo).
Mine is a 2000 528I. Same color as his;Orient Blue Metallic. I usually don't
work the same hours as he does so we don't cross paths too much.

So of course he asked me what year mine is and i tell him, he says what great
shape it's in and all that stuff. I gave him a brief run down of the things that i have
done to it through the years and he was totally clueless...Just for fun I told him (You know you don't have an oil dipstick to check your engine oil)....He said ( I didn't know that
and he would check that out tomorrow).Really...?

This guy has owned (3) BMW's previous to owning the 128I as i found out
after talking to him a bit more.

Sigh, He's on his fourth BMW and he has no clue....He said he just takes
the car to the dealer when there's a problem.

I just didn't have anything to say after hearing that....

No interest on his part nor mine......

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Either you have it or you don't. It's a particular kind of individual who wants to know how their car works; Given that all maintenance is taken care of for 5 years, there is nothing to encourage anyone to investigate. If they sell the car soon after getting their first 'real' maintenance bill, then there is no incentive since the next car has the same deal.

It's only if you buy a used car cheap where the maintenance becomes a major % of the original cost that there is incentive to learn to wrench. My 528i cost very little for 8 years. Then I got a ridiculous bill from a recommended Indy that made me feel very uncomfortable with what had been done. I decided to learn to do my own maintenance from that point forward - but I was only able to do so because we had another car. And, I was aware that if I messed up in my efforts, that there was somewhere I could find help (another recommended Indy who checked out).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Were a good bunch. Some brave people come through here, some generous people who are willing to share their many years of experience. This is the best on line group I have ever been associate with. I never would have had a clue about how to take care of this wonderful car without their help, and I'm happy to give back what ever I am able to do.

Jim

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Were a good bunch. Some brave people come through here, some generous people who are willing to share their many years of experience. This is the best on line group I have ever been associate with. I never would have had a clue about how to take care of this wonderful car without their help, and I'm happy to give back what ever I am able to do.

Jim
I agree

·
RIP #9
1,421 Posts

Jim
+1, but it is also the most dogmatic/superstitious group :p I don't have a problem with either, though :D

·
Registered
177 Posts

Jim
True. Reminds me how much I miss BlueBee....:cry:

·
Under the lift arms
13,085 Posts
I dont expect any less, there are a few different types of people in the world.. and this one your talking about has money and doesn't have time to worry about his new car,

If you can come to terms with spending 50k+ on a new car... you probably dont have that type of time to actually know wtf is going on, in the thing your ripping around

in general... the first owner will buy the car new... take it back to the dealer till it starts to hurt there pocket... or when that hurt starts to out weigh the fun of owning and paying for that car,

Then one of 2 things happen... a money maker person who sees the opportunity to make money on the first persons mismanagement (if you will) will step in put the money out, OR sometimes a lucky person like my self who is mechanical person.. will come in see the opportunity to acquire something expensive for less then what it use to cost.....

I always say if i hit the lottery... I would waste money on stupid things like cars and houses... and toys..

win a few million bucks.. and im gonna buy property, cause out by my the area has been exploding for the last 20 years, a lot of farmers who had 500+ acres of land.. have now sold off bits of lots @ 200%+ value

so what are you saying jon? well... what im saying is that ill buy 500 acres, and put a race track on it... and then have loner m3's and you guys can come rent race cars lol lol

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

What you've got to remember is that around the whole world, of ALL the people who can drive on puiblic roads in every country that has them perhaps 10% of them ALL are 'enthusiasts'. The other 90% or so aren't and they don't care how the car works, what's special about them, have no time or patience to do ANY work on the car themselves. Out of that 90%, a big proportion will view ANY car as just a tool to get from A to B. As some of them have more disposable income, they'll be able to afford and run/maintain more prestige vehicle brands. This is why you'll see many people in a BMW/Merc/Porsche/Maserati/Ferrari/Lambo etc who buy them because... they can. I have a very good friend who has a large dispoable income, he's not into cars at ALL, but there's a Ferrari 458 in the garage for weekends and a Cayenne for daily running around.

For me, I haven't got any time or knowledge for practically fixing and resolving things on my car, I don't even know what a 'wrench' is. I simply speak to my trusted mechanic who looks at what's wrong, gives me a price of fixing it and I then go collect it once done. Given some people's responses on this and similar threads, I'm really 'not an enthusiast' at all - but nothing could actually be further from the truth! I'm a big car/petrol/diesel/electric head and thoroughly enjoy every aspect (apart from fixing and repairing) of private car ownership !

Burning 2nd - have a surf over to the UK property listings sites and particularly the South East and London areas of the country and make sure you are sitting down in a good armchair! Those inflated by 200% values of lots you mention are temptingly cheap to me ! ;)

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Under the lift arms
13,085 Posts
I know dennis Ive got family in Stockbridge my gram wanted me to move over, Im simply unable to...

i couldn't rap my head around relocating... finding a job.. starting over

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
wrench = spanner.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi

Burning2nd - Stockbridge near Southampton you mean ?! there's plenty of Americans who have moved over here to the UK and have adjusted pretty well for the most part. Many do go back, other's would never ever go back ! I used to work for 3 USA IT/Software companies and spoke to many of the USA staff who came over to live/work etc. Lots of funny stories and discussions of 'differences' etc. I do recall perhaps 4/5 older ladies who came over for 3/4 months and who'd never ever been outside of the USA before, the amount of winding up I and a few others did to them was hilarious and to be fair, they all took it well !

edjack - I know! I was speaking 'American' there! I do know quite a lot of the USA terms given the amount of times I've been over there, but there's still lots I don't know !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Constantly Learning
2,029 Posts
So your potential bromance was snuffed out? :) Try to keep in mind that different people have different priorities. And there are different kinds of enthusiasts.

I can't imagine not understanding your vehicle, and doing what DIY work you can on it. So my definition matches yours. But I've never bought new.

And I'm sure there are some out there who never touch their cars maintenance wise but are better on a track than me.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
A guy that I work with walked next to me today.

He wears dress shoes
I have an older vintage pair of dress shoes

I told him how I resoled my dress shoes when they started ripping and he was totally clueless...

This guy has owned (3) dress shoes previous to this pair and he has no clue how to repair shoes
....He said he just buys a new pair when they wear out

I just didn't have anything to say after hearing that....

No interest on his part nor mine......

·
Under the lift arms
13,085 Posts
forum follows function

How it looks comes after how it preforms.. This can be said for just about everything

how it works.... or operates comes before how it looks..

LIke buying a Really really nice wood stove for your house heating systems... LOOKS great beautiful hand crafted worked and design..... you failed to see the BTU rating was well under what you needed.... Your house is cold... your stove looks nice.... but you suck

your rims! oMG they are so so awesome (que everything is awesome song) your Tires must be so expensive i could never afford to keep rims like that on the road.... OH what! your suspension is shot. your brake system is beat? your car just got out preformed by a new fiesta? You FAIL
Ive always lived like this... and it has served me well.. once you learn to live like this you will be must more prosperous then you are now.. regardless of how much money you have, I have family that have won millions and millions in lottery... and still have learned this lesson from me

you can have all the weapons you want to buy in the world.. but at the end of the day only what you can carry and fire is of any use to you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts