Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at a used "2019 BMW X3 M40i" on the lot of an non-BMW car dealership.

How would I know if it is a real M or "Amazon rebadged M?"

The tailgate, steering and instrument cluster have the M badge.

The brake calipers and side fenders do not have the M badge.

As we all know, Amazon rebadged Ms are common.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I am looking at a used "2019 BMW X3 M40i" on the lot of an non-BMW car dealership.

Thank you.
No idea what an "amazon rebadged M" is, but the BMW X3 M40i is an actual model that BMW sells, that is between "msport" and "M".

Its faster than the X3 30i, has a slightly up tuned engine, M sport styling etc. It is not an "X3M" which is also a thing that exists.

If its actually an X3 M40i, all the M badges that are on it likely came from the factory that way. In the US, they dont put side fender M badges on most bmws from the factory.

TL ; DR version... the X3 M40i is a real model that bmw sells, but its not the X3M that BMW also sells.

I have a 2019 BMW X3 M40i which is a very nice car my wife drives around, sounds nice, and very comfortable. We replaced an X5 with this X3 and my wife is very happy with it. Fully optioned MSRP on my wifes car was 69k ish. Its not an X3M though, so I dont get your "amazon rebadged M comment because I dont know what you mean. its a "Fake M that comes from the factory that way", so where does that fit with your "amazon rebadged M"?

·
Stuart in Houston
641 Posts
AFAIK, there are only two gas engines available in the US, for the 2019 X3. You either get a 3.0, or you get an M40i.

While there are different trim & performance packages available for both, as far as engines, it's either the 4-banger, or the straight six. So if it's the six cylinder, or a 4.0 engine, it's an M40i. They don't make an X3 4.0, like they do the X3 3.0

The M40i has a bunch of M type branding on it, but it is not an M. That's the domain of the X3M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There are multiple models with factory M badges in various locations.
X3M - full M package with M engine
X3 M340i - 6 cylinder turbo X3 with various M suspension and trim upgrades
X3 Xdrive 30i with M Sport - stock 4 cylinder turbo with various M suspension and trim upgrades.
Additional upgrades to M brakes and other options (adaptive M suspension, M sport differential), are also available separately.

For example, I have the 4 cylinder with M sport option, so there are factory M badges on the steering wheel, door sill, etc. I also have the sport transmission and paddle shifters, but my engine is the standard 4 cylinder. I do not have any exterior M badges.

Bruce

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea what an "amazon rebadged M" is, but the BMW X3 M40i is an actual model that BMW sells, that is between "msport" and "M".

Its faster than the X3 30i, has a slightly up tuned engine, M sport styling etc. It is not an "X3M" which is also a thing that exists.

If its actually an X3 M40i, all the M badges that are on it likely came from the factory that way. In the US, they dont put side fender M badges on most bmws from the factory.

TL ; DR version... the X3 M40i is a real model that bmw sells, but its not the X3M that BMW also sells.

I have a 2019 BMW X3 M40i which is a very nice car my wife drives around, sounds nice, and very comfortable. We replaced an X5 with this X3 and my wife is very happy with it. Fully optioned MSRP on my wifes car was 69k ish. Its not an X3M though, so I dont get your "amazon rebadged M comment because I dont know what you mean. its a "Fake M that comes from the factory that way", so where does that fit with your "amazon rebadged M"?
M badges for sale on Amazon. There are more M badges sold than M vehicles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you

·
Stuart in Houston
641 Posts
X3 M340i - 6 cylinder turbo X3 with various M suspension and trim upgrades
Just to be pedantic...

It's called X3 M40i. There is no X3 M340i. I know what you meant, but since the OP seems to be concerned with nomenclature, I thought best to point this out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Amazon version? :D

·
Registered
68 Posts

Thank you.
I'll assume that you're asking this question: is this really an M40i or is it a base engine X3 that had M badges slapped on it to look like an M40? Well to begin with, the engine will be a 6 cylinder engine, Brakes should should be blue with M badges. The trunk badging should say "M40i". I would check the car's registration papers and VIN online. But frankly if you're questioning whether the car you're buying is really what you think it is, you should probably walk away from that dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pull the VIN and check it on one of the dozen or so web sites that will give you an entire grasp of what car it is, when and where it was born and what options it originally came with.

I do not trust cars that are debadged/ rebadged. Carfax or a place like that will also give you some of the service history and if it had been documented to need repairs due to an accident.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts