BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of researching why VA requires a front plate. Apparently VA state police were told the end of March to start enforcing the front license plates. I read the reason they are cracking down is because of the change from Radar to Lidar (laser) when they check your speed with Laser they aim at your front plate to get a nice flat reflective surface. I don't think our cars have one without the front plate. I wish I'd known. Now I just made it easier for them to nail me! Hopefully this info will help someone out there.
If I'd known that was the reason, I would have temporarily duck taped it to the bumper.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Does the law state that the plate MUST be mounted perfectly vertical? If its somewhere on the front but in such a position that they can't use it to check speed then maybe you can get away with mounting it horizontal.:D

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
There was a movement a couple of years ago to align us with the rest of the southeast and not have a front plate...you can thank the House of Delegates for ruining that idea.

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
Fortunately, there are laser jammers on the market. :angel:

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Your plate is too small to be a good target.

The whole front of the car with a wide and flat radiator and lots of metal pieces is what the device will "see" and bounce off of.

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
Laser jammers in VA=big no-no.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Your plate is too small to be a good target.

The whole front of the car with a wide and flat radiator and lots of metal pieces is what the device will "see" and bounce off of.
Oh no, that's more akin to radar. The new laser involves a lens like a rifle scope and they put a bead on the plate itself. They can accurately clock you from a couple hundred yards away... I know.... I was a victim a few weeks ago--broke my e39 cherry, in fact (83 in a 65, no big deal). Got out of the ticket by agreeing to "Driver Improvement School" for a day. Worth it....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Up here in Canada, we have the same laws. After speaking to several friends in law enforcement who use lidar guns for speed traps, I can tell you that the front plate is the first target to lidar guns. Here are a couple of things you can do, first get a anti-laser plate from radar busters.

http://www.radarbusters.com/laser-jammers/laser-accessories/lasershield.cfm

I have these on both my cars and have witnessed with my Valentine 1 the attempts to get a signal lock on my car. The front plate basically reduces the effective range of laser down to ABOUT 500 feet and they will start to try and get a reading from 1500 feet. This gives you enought time to respond to a laser alert from the V1. In short, a good Valentine 1 and a Laser Shield, you are all set. Pair it up with the Stealth One for places like VA and wire up a remote power switch in the ashtray and you could hide the V1 all together. Pics on my site of the remote power switch.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
laser-absorbing plate covers are of course also illegal in VA, so you cannot mail-order them. I'm definitely going to get one sent to my brother in NJ. My radar detector is hidden on the steering column--though I wasn't using it when I got nailed...in fact I rarely use it in VA, but I've been doing so on the interstate more often now.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I'm not ready to accept that a cop, or anyone but an expert shooter, can hold a gun on a target as small as a lic plate at 1000 feet while it is 1) moving and 2) the cop's arm is at full extension.

My point is that the beam is bouncing off more than the plate. Cops may be trained to aim at the plate but that is all.

And if the plate is at an angle to the cop the beam does not bounce back to the cop, it goes off at an angle never to return.

The beam does bounces off many metal objects in the front of the car and a few lucky ones are perfectly reflected back to the gun.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Oh no, that's more akin to radar. The new laser involves a lens like a rifle scope and they put a bead on the plate itself. They can accurately clock you from a couple hundred yards away... I know.... I was a victim a few weeks ago--broke my e39 cherry, in fact (83 in a 65, no big deal). Got out of the ticket by agreeing to "Driver Improvement School" for a day. Worth it....
You were quite lucky since you missed the reckless driving by 2mph. Then you would have to go to the driving school as well as pay for an attorney to reduce the charges.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Hmm, I was able to place an order for the anti-laser covers for delivery in VA at that site (I order 3, one for each vehicle). I haven't been able to order any radar-evading items before.... We'll see if it gets flagged or not....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm not ready to accept that a cop, or anyone but an expert shooter, can hold a gun on a target as small as a lic plate at 1000 feet while it is 1) moving and 2) the cop's arm is at full extension.

My point is that the beam is bouncing off more than the plate. Cops may be trained to aim at the plate but that is all.
It really does not matter in the Communistwealth State of VA. You are at their mercy and whatever they say will be the law regardless of the technicalities. They will bust you for going 4mph ove the speed limit, but they have snipers and all sorts of crazies running around - atleast in NoVA. It is all about the Benjamin's - they could care less about the safety and welfare of the general public.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You were quite lucky since you missed the reckless driving by 2mph. Then you would have to go to the driving school as well as pay for an attorney to reduce the charges.
Pay for an attorney, no (I am one). I've actually represented myself (yeah I know, fool of a client has an idiot for a lawyer and all that) a number of times, with some success. In this case the judge lives on my street, and gave me driving school and dropped the ticket. I also got driving school and the ticket dropped last year--you are only supposed to be able to do this once per 20 years, but it helps to know the right people. He probably would have dropped it completely, but the cop really got me dead to rights--no doubt about it; I was speeding.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Pay for an attorney, no (I am one). I've actually represented myself (yeah I know, fool of a client has an idiot for a lawyer and all that) a number of times, with some success. In this case the judge lives on my street, and gave me driving school and dropped the ticket. I also got driving school and the ticket dropped last year--you are only supposed to be able to do this once per 20 years, but it helps to know the right people. He probably would have dropped it completely, but the cop really got me dead to rights--no doubt about it; I was speeding.
Unfortunately, I was not very lucky and the cop gave me no mercy. I had to do the driving school just to make sure I would not lose my license for 6 months - I could not risk that chance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Up here in Canada, we have the same laws. After speaking to several friends in law enforcement who use lidar guns for speed traps, I can tell you that the front plate is the first target to lidar guns. Here are a couple of things you can do, first get a anti-laser plate from radar busters.

http://www.radarbusters.com/laser-jammers/laser-accessories/lasershield.cfm

I have these on both my cars and have witnessed with my Valentine 1 the attempts to get a signal lock on my car. The front plate basically reduces the effective range of laser down to ABOUT 500 feet and they will start to try and get a reading from 1500 feet. This gives you enought time to respond to a laser alert from the V1. In short, a good Valentine 1 and a Laser Shield, you are all set. Pair it up with the Stealth One for places like VA and wire up a remote power switch in the ashtray and you could hide the V1 all together. Pics on my site of the remote power switch.
If I was able to hide a Valentine 1 would I be able to get away with it in VA or do they have 'radar detector detectors'? I have always wanted a V1. Does this stealth One prevent the cops from knowing you have it. I heard that it can be linked up to display on your instrument cluster. I would be in heaven! it's been so long since I've looked into radar detectors b/c of being in VA :(
I suppose at the very least I'll get the anti-laser plate. Thanks for the info!

·
Underdog On Top
176 Posts
Best bet in VA is to just drive slow (like everyone else does there). More than 20mph over = jailable offense of "reckless driving". And they do put folks in jail - I've seen it.

VA is the weirdest state when it comes to speed and "aggressive driving" - it is their number one priority . . . thus the slow speeds and constant grid lock - which they see as a small price to pay for lock-down speed enforcement.

People in VA get PISSED if you speed by them.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
that was the last place i got a speeding ticket, 5yrs ago. i was the last car in line of 5 going 82, at night. didn't see him behind me until he threw the those pretty blue lights. right after i passe kings deminon. it didn't help that i was paying more attenion to the md. terps playing on the radio. now when i drove through i keep under 10 mph over. the cops i hate the most in va. are the ones who sit on i95 in the nicely wooded cross over from south to north bound lanes. they usually give a nice brake check.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Best bet in VA is to just drive slow (like everyone else does there). More than 20mph over = jailable offense of "reckless driving". And they do put folks in jail - I've seen it.

VA is the weirdest state when it comes to speed and "aggressive driving" - it is their number one priority . . . thus the slow speeds and constant grid lock - which they see as a small price to pay for lock-down speed enforcement.

People in VA get PISSED if you speed by them.
I speed by them every day :) Yeah, they do get pissed, and I've paid the piper my share of times, but insurance at least starts out pretty low (in the country areas where I live) and don't get too high if you can avoid getting the reckless ticket. But just like everywhere else, or perhaps more so, VA drivers are loathe to move from the passing lane when you come up behind them, even if there is no car in front of them. They think that they have every right to be in the passing lane at the speed limit. That is incorrect of course; you must stay to the right except to pass, even in the U.S. I understand that failure to yield on the Autobahn is a jailable offense, and rightly so! Should be here too....

·
New BMW enthusiast
90 Posts
I live near VA I don't go into VA unless it is absolutely necessary. When I do I stay in the middle of the pack (when gutsy) and no more than 10 over other times.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts