BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a real time traffic subscription for my 2014 BMW X3 and it was working in December when I drove back from a trip to New Orleans. I noticed it was no longer working so I went to my BMW app and looked to see if subscription was up and it says it is no longer available for my vehicle.
Does anyone know if they discontinued this because of the model year or what? I did not receive any emails or communication from BMW regarding this. Very poor customer communications.
MY JOURNEY
ADVANCED REAL-TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION
BMW’s Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information System sends up-to-date traffic reports directly to your BMW, allowing you to choose a new route and avoid delays. Available subscription periods may differ by model. This service may also be included within select ConnectedDrive packages. Please check all available offers before making your selection.

This service is not available for your BMW ".
Check availability for another vehicle

12 months for
$ 50.00

·
Registered
2016 BMW Z4 2.8
208 Posts
I am guessing, but I suspect it is because of the discontinuation of the support for 3G by the telecommunication carriers. I have the same issue with my car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/bmwusa/connected-drive/pdf… · PDF file
BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118 or [email protected]. Customers affected by this 3G cellular technology discontinuation are unable to purchase or renew services. To ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported, BMW has stopped selling one-year.....

There is an FAQ on the subject at the above link.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am guessing, but I suspect it is because of the discontinuation of the support for 3G by the telecommunication carriers. I have the same issue with my car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/bmwusa/connected-drive/pdf… · PDF file
BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118 or [email protected]. Customers affected by this 3G cellular technology discontinuation are unable to purchase or renew services. To ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported, BMW has stopped selling one-year.....

There is an FAQ on the subject at the above link.
Yep, my emergency call no longer works either. It seems like a chip upgrade or a little effort could move us to 4g but this feature is an important safety feature and it seems that just letting it expire without trying to upgrade it shows a lack of customer commitment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, my emergency call no longer works either. It seems like a chip upgrade or a little effort could move us to 4g but this feature is an important safety feature and it seems that just letting it expire without trying to upgrade it shows a lack of customer commitment.

But it looks like the shutdown was a little premature according to this article.

Customers of Verizon Connect will have extra time, as the telematics provider has negotiated a three-year extension for its customers, said Greg Jones, director of hardware product strategy at Verizon Connect.

"In working closely with the Verizon network team, we were able to extend the 3G hardware deadline for Verizon Connect customers to the end of 2022," Jones said. "This is to allow us to better meet our customers' needs with a swap-out schedule that makes sense for each of them individually. When we come across a situation that has the potential to cause disruption to a customer's business, we want to get as far ahead of that as possible, and establish timelines that ease their pain points and take some of the stress out of the situation."
While Verizon hasn't released details about how many commercial fleets are using its 3G network, analysts estimate that there are approximately 3 million 3G commercial fleet management connections remaining. Many of those are also operating on AT&T's 3G network, which will be shut down at the end of 2021.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Call in to Customer service at 888-333-6118 and ask for the Emergency 3g bundle which will get you till Feb 1, 2022 for Emergency calls and other functionality.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and last post to kill this dead horse. There is a combox upgrade for 4g. But I don't know if that would give you access to all of the BMW apps and connected services or just give you emergency call.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,429 Posts
When 2G was obsoleted and went away as unilaterally, BMW upgraded us to 3G/4G. When I asked why dual standards, it was explained that one was data only and the other voice only - I don’t remember which was what. so my 4G is still doing whatever it has always done including RTTI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts