BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Sommer, a 19yr old girl from the Carolinas. My dad has a 2005 CTS-V 6Speed Manual and I wanted one at first...but I am in love with BMW, I am looking for something equally as powerful but I don't know where to even start...there's just so many cars, can someone give me a suggestion! I am currently looking at a 2011 Series 5 535i f10 6speed....I don't don't know what that all means, but he is selling it for 11k...what do yall think? And can you give me some basic lessons on the different models and stuff...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Is your dad rich? ;) As in it really wont matter what it costs to keep in running for the next few years?

Did you drive that f10 535??? Does it meet your power requirements? 10 year old car, cost perhaps 60k new. Please do keep in mind that the repair costs will be that of a $60k car.

Agree its a bad time to be car buying, but that is any car- not just BMW.

·
Registered
2000 528it, 2015 435i, 2016 435ix GC
738 Posts
You have lots of options, but whatever you choose have it inspected by a BMW mechanic before you buy. There are lots of these cars out there with deferred maintenance. That being said, if I were your age I would be looking for something like a 335i Coupe or a Z3. The 5 series is for old guys like me. 😆

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If looking for more of a high performance entry-level Bimmer, I would consider a gently used M235/M240 (which is available in a manual and/or convertible... and it's less of an old person car 😂).

But, I also agree with other members' posts that it's not a great time to buy a car if you don't absolutely have to. Unless of course you have a parent who will help. Good luck!

Reactions: SommerI

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is your dad rich? ;) As in it really wont matter what it costs to keep in running for the next few years?

Did you drive that f10 535??? Does it meet your power requirements? 10 year old car, cost perhaps 60k new. Please do keep in mind that the repair costs will be that of a $60k car.

Agree its a bad time to be car buying, but that is any car- not just BMW.
No, I didn't drive it, I'm asking questions before I even decide to drive it. Also my dad isn't paying for it lol, I am. And yes 60k car = expensive repairs, thats very apparent. I need a car...winter is approaching and I can't ride my motorcycle every single day....so I kind of have to buy one now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have lots of options, but whatever you choose have it inspected by a BMW mechanic before you buy. There are lots of these cars out there with deferred maintenance. That being said, if I were your age I would be looking for something like a 335i Coupe or a Z3. The 5 series is for old guys like me. 😆
😭🤣 ok! Someone told me to look at M models if I want to compare to a CTS-V.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If looking for more of a high performance entry-level Bimmer, I would consider a gently used M235/M240 (which is available in a manual and/or convertible... and it's less of an old person car 😂).

But, I also agree with other members' posts that it's not a great time to buy a car if you don't absolutely have to. Unless of course you have a parent who will help. Good luck!
Lol, not a good time to buy a car? Damn, guess I'll just walk to work 😭🤣. I'll check out those 2, thx ♡

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
To add, a few of us were probably assuming you want a pre-owned "M Performance" BMW from your original post. A full "M" car such as an M2 or M3 might be too much car and expense. A brand new BMW can be very expensive once optioned out. There are obviously cheaper-to-buy and maintain used models with 4-cyl turbo engines that may fit your needs - if you're not trying to keep up with your dad's CTS-V 😅

E.g., look into the 230, 328 or 330, and 528 or 530. I think these models all offer an "M Sport" package that provides some sporty bits and pieces without breaking the bank. Also, I have had good experience buying Certified Pre Owned (CPO) from BMW dealers. It's a bit more money upfront but you get added piece of mind.

Reactions: Rsavory

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,421 Posts
A quick breakdown...on BMW's that have 3 digit numbers (128i, 235i, 540i, 760i) the first digit is the series which is pretty much bigger number means bigger car (1 series is tiny, 7 series is big). The other 2 numbers while not a direct value anymore relates to power, a 760 has more power than a 740.
As relates to your dad's Cadillac, the V designation is the grandaddy sport version. BMW's equivalent is the M series which are simply called M2, M3, M4, etc with again that number signifying the series of the car (bigger number = bigger car). Nowadays there are also upgrades such as Competition Package which makes them even faster.
On some series there are also inbetween models such as the M235, faster than a regular 235i but not a true M2.
With a $50k budget I'd head to the dealership and start testing out some CPO (certified pre-owned) vehicles. Driving is the best way to figure out what you like.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
To add to the complexity, the amount and prices of BMW packages/options is ridiculous. Make sure you do some homework on the features you really want. E.g., backup cameras, navigation, proximity sensors, heated seats, split fold rear seats, Apple CarPlay, blind spot monitoring, spare tire, etc. may not be standard features in some older-model BMWs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.